where are all these eggs coming from?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    First, it was the golf balls thrown out of the nest boxes.

Now, I have eggs showing up on the floor of the coop. I don't have any pullets getting ready to lay (14 w/0). The eggs are fine, not damaged as if they'd fallen from the boxes. And they're sort of grouped around the door of the kennel with the two orphans in it.

Why are they doing this?! [​IMG]

PS Barbie has hidden two eggs behind the kennel in the corner. She sits on them for a while each day.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe they're working on their golf swing. [​IMG]

Maybe someone decided they like the floor better? I have seen one of my girls try to steal an egg from the next box over to put under her. Maybe this is the case and whoops, down it went?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
  3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I collected 6 eggs from the floor yesterday. [​IMG]

This is kind of aggravating.

4. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a Lakenvelder and she lays right inside the poop door. All thirteen others lay in the boxes. I guess she likes a view instead of privacy when she lays [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there at least a low board across the bottom of the nest boxes to keep bedding and eggs in the box? If so, maybe it could be a little higher, but maybe she's just laying them on the floor, and once the others see her eggs, they add to the clutch like hens often do, which is of course why the golf ball trick often works to get em to lay in nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by