Where are my eggs?

chubbchubb7

Songster
Apr 19, 2016
So my hens have been free ranging some, but this week we haven't found any eggs. We have looked in all the usual spots and even taken some eggs we weren't planning to eat and placed them in the nesting boxes that I moved out the coop. The hens get in them but no new eggs appear. I kept thinking they were very good hiders but now I am wondering if something else is going on. Can hear stop them from laying? Also posting a pic of one of the eggs that I placed in the box broken. It wasn't like that yesterday and we lock the chickens up at night. Any ideas?

We ended up finding a nest but it didn't have the brown layer eggs so we are still missing those. My nephew claims he saw a small snake in the coop and found an egg there too... The mystery deepens lol

Oh it's great that you found a nest! But snakes will definitely eat eggs (and occasionally chicks). If you can find the spot where it's entering the coop and patch it up with hardware cloth, that will help for the future. Good luck!
smile.png

Could be small predator snacking on the eggs...mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunk, etc.
Might be a good idea to train them to the coop nests:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom