Where are my eggs???

When you changed their food, you changed their world. Antime we've changed the food it's taken 2 to 3 weeks until they lay again as if they are pouting about it or something.....

Also please do add a light for them. This really helps with ours.

Quote:
She has light. 3 of them. They're totally indoors.

Yours stop laying every time you change the food? How bizarre. Mine never have, except one year when the feed quality was really bad, but that was a gradual thing. As soon as I found better feed and changed it, they started laying again, almost overnight.

These chickens, if you read back a bit in the thread, have gone from outdoors to totally indoors, in December.

I got an egg today...but I noticed that they were scratching-(if I'm repeating myself, I'm sorry I'm using my daughters laptop and it has parental control and its blocking me from going back to page 2)-but anyway I checked their bodies and they had no red marks, no bugs attached to them but something was flying around them and they all were snipping at it and fluffing their feathers and backtails...so I tried liming them and the area and it didn't work. So I removed them and then shoveled out all of their hay...they're in a pen in the garage and I was using the deep litter method and so I shoveled out all of the straw and dumped it outside in my compost bin, then sprayed the entire area, let it dry, and then placed new straw down. I don't know if that will solve the problem but I am hoping that I will start getting regular eggs from both hens again. The pullets aren't laying yet but if not, I'll have to get some Sweet PZ but I think that may have been why they weren't laying...

Do you have shavings under the straw? Straw will do bad things without an absorbent layer underneath because not only does it not absorb moisture but it insulates both moisture and heat so the area stays wetter than if you used no bedding. If your just laying straw over concrete moisture will build and create a rotting mess that will attract bugs.

Whats with all you guys and the winter non-laying, mine are laying a dozen plus a day LOL too many eggs for us and selling is slow in our area during the winter!

Mine are laying and some of my20 week olds are just starting to lay each day I get 1 or 2 new layers I have 31 total 26 20 week olds and 5 30 weeks old. I'm getting 12 to 14 eggs a day right now and not all are laying yet.I do have a light on a timer but it's only comes on for 4 hours after dusk, that way when summer is here and it stays light longer they will be somewhat use to it. The light is out at 8:30 pm

Back
Top Bottom