Where are my eggs???

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016
My wait is coming to an end. All 3 of my new pullets started to squat within this last week. Their comb and wattles are red, vents moist an open, 2-3 finger spacing between pin bones.

This morning there was quite the ruckus cacaphony from the coop, but when I went out to check, there were only the 3 eggs from my 2 year old hens.

I know my newbies are SOOOO close and it's making the wait even harder!!

How old are the birds and what breeds?
The eggs may be hiding somewhere outside.
We're well after the winter solstice if you're in the Northern Hemisphere. They should be here soon with all the things you've checked.

Do they get to free roam because sometimes hens lay away from the nestbox like my pekins which layer in a wheelbarrow and the other in a hedgehog house!! Do the older hens bully the younger pullets this can put them off laying

When pullets just start to lay they think they are going to lay but actually don’t. This is because they don’t know what feeling means they are going to lay if that makes sense. That is probably why you heard them in the nesting box but didn’t find any eggs.
Hope this helps! :jumpy

How old are the birds and what breeds?
The eggs may be hiding somewhere outside.
We're well after the winter solstice if you're in the Northern Hemisphere. They should be here soon with all the things you've checked.
22 weeks- FBCM, Barred Rock and a mystery chick that might be a Wyandotte/Cuckoo Maran cross

And yes, I'm in Southern Ca, all my older girls have come off winter molt and been laying for a few weeks. We purposefully got these late summer so they would enter point of lay right around the time daylight was on their side.

I usually let them out in the afternoon, and have been checking the yard pretty thoroughly each day. They get along with my older hens pretty well, no pecking or squabbling to note, so hopefully that's not the issue.

Do they get to free roam because sometimes hens lay away from the nestbox like my pekins which layer in a wheelbarrow and the other in a hedgehog house!! Do the older hens bully the younger pullets this can put them off laying
Sorry, I included my reply to you in the reply above.

IMG_1533.JPG
Thare she blows!! Got 1 cute little pullet egg today in addition to my 3 older hen's eggs. Here is a Large egg from my 2 year old EE and the new little pullet egg... now if only I knew who done it

Back
Top Bottom