Where are my Eggs?!?

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016
I am in So Cal and don’t provide my chickens with extra light, so they usually stop laying in November and start again mid February.
I have 2 seasoned layers (3-5 years old) and 1 new Sexlink that is around 30 weeks.
My EE (5 yrs old) laid 5-6 eggs a week ago, then nothing else, my other seasoned girl a Welsummer hasn’t laid anything yet this season, and my new girl- a golden Sexlink - we got in October at about 12 weeks old, so she is 29-30 weeks old now and I assume is only not laying due to the time of year, but she has huge red comb and wattles and her pelvic bones have a 2 finger separation. The only thing she isn’t doing is squatting...

so where dem eggs??? And why did my EE lay for a week then go dark again?

I also have 5 new pullets that are just at 18 weeks, but they aren’t ready yet, so I was hoping these girls would get on tha ball and give us enough to hold us over.

Do you free range at all?

Since each bird is an individual your results can be all over the place. The Sexlink I would expect to be laying by the description, but... :confused:
We have a fairly small back yard and let them out ocassionally, but I am fairly certain they aren’t laying/hiding eggs anywhere.

5BFC140D-91AD-433C-8945-8C30BCC0CDDB.jpeg

Give her more time. If it is cold they will stop laying. I have found it is mroe temperature related than light related. Depending on their age and the season, hens can stop laying from 1 to 3-4 months during winter time. I have a heater in the coop that keeps the temp above freezing, since I want them to be comfy, so they stop laying for very brief periods - 1 month for 1 year old hens, usually mid December after they finish moulting to mid January. My 6 year old stopped for 4 months :)

Laying will increase when the lighting increases. My pullets are still laying this winter since they are still pullets even though the temperature is below zero without windchill accounted for.
My hens are laying due to the amount of lighting.
Your sexlink is looking close to laying. I would also glare at her and have a conversation with her :)

image.jpg

I did get this cute little pullet egg today, but it looks more like a Wyandotte egg than the GC/Sexlink eggs I am used to.
My SLW is 19 weeks and has a red waddle and comb, and a moist vent but not as much pelvic separation as I would expect for her to have laid.
I also have a Delaware that is no where close. So i expect it is either the Sexlink or the SLW

Back
Top Bottom