WHERE ARE MY EGGS!

should i be worried? or contact the seller on possibility getting them switched out? or should they eventually begin laying again. The guy i got them from told me they lay an egg per day. The one out of the 4 that is laying has been laying one every day for around 3 weeks
Be patient, they're finicky birds not machines. :]

It's totally normal for hens to stop laying after a move. For the birds, eggs are about reproduction, so they stop under stress because that's not a good time to bring chicks into the world.
There are many things that can cause that kind of stress to be continual, including social dynamics within the flock, housing issues, predators stalking them, environmental noise, etc.
To be honest, the housing looks rather small for the size and number of hens. That one picture of the white hen under the coop kinda made me cringe.
So, if you don't mind me asking, what was your main motivation to get into chickens? Were you seeking a more humane source of eggs? Or just the eggs for eggs sake? Because they do cost less at the store than from keeping a backyard flock.

It's totally normal for hens to stop laying after a move. For the birds, eggs are about reproduction, so they stop under stress because that's not a good time to bring chicks into the world.
There are many things that can cause that kind of stress to be continual, including social dynamics within the flock, housing issues, predators stalking them, environmental noise, etc.
To be honest, the housing looks rather small for the size and number of hens. That one picture of the white hen under the coop kinda made me cringe.
So, if you don't mind me asking, what was your main motivation to get into chickens? Were you seeking a more humane source of eggs? Or just the eggs for eggs sake? Because they do cost less at the store than from keeping a backyard flock.
they have more then enough room… there coop and run is 12.5 feet by 5 feet in total. Like i previously mentioned in my first comment i said “i let them free range around my backyard for around 4-5 hours” guess you missed that. Ive been taking care of chickens for over 12.5 years i moved from texas to california and as im sure ur aware the spacing is obviously different as far as housing and backyards go between the states. Ive raised 3 flocks of 5 doing this with no problem in the past until now. Which is why i decided to post.

they have more then enough room… there coop and run is 12.5 feet by 5 feet in total. Like i previously mentioned in my first comment i said “i let them free range around my backyard for around 4-5 hours” guess you missed that. Ive been taking care of chickens for over 12.5 years i moved from texas to california and as im sure ur aware the spacing is obviously different as far as housing and backyards go between the states. Ive raised 3 flocks of 5 doing this with no problem in the past until now. Which is why i decided to post.
Maybe ask the seller if they’ve noticed any change with their birds? I’m surrounded by wild ducks here but last year not a single duckling hatched, there were lots of people saying the same about their chickens not laying at the time and theories about the food supplier’s being responsible but that wouldn’t have affected our local duck population.
Loads of ducklings again this year so whatever it was seems to have been resolved, hope it’s not happening again.

Back
Top Bottom