WHERE ARE MY EGGS!

jaredrah777

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
Hi guys so about 2-2.5 weeks ago i purchased four 7.5 month old laying hens from a local seller in my area who is trusted and pretty well known.

when i first introduced them they seemed to get comfortable and familiar fast. One of the four even going directly into the nesting box and layed an egg on the first day!

Unfortunately though the 3 other ones have not laid in over 2.5 weeks + which is pretty concerning. I was feeding 18% layered feed with oyster shells and occasionally some dried fly larve. I decided okay let me switch it up so i bought scratch and peck 16% layer feed and still week went by nothing. I tried fermenting the food and still nothing.

They free range for about 3-4 hrs a day in my backyard and then at night have got accustomed to naturally going back into the roost inside my coop. Which is a good sign. They seem to have got a hang of the schedule.

I wanted to see if anybody knows whats the problem? i really really need some advice here so even if you aren’t help if you know anybody that would help tag them below please 🙏🙏

also i thought they may have found a hidden spot in my backyard but i looked and looked everywhere flipped everything over, i can 100% say 3 out of the 4 haven’t laid anywhere yet. I know also that they see the nesting box and the fake eggs i have put in them.

here are pictures of my set up (i put them in the run because the gardeners are here lol) normally they free range around the whole backyard.

Attachments

• IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I agree with Nuthatched about the feed. Moving chickens is pretty stressful on them, and it can take them a while to adjust. I bought some point of lay pullets last year around this time, and they didn't lay till spring, even one who looked like she had been laying. You mentioned one of them laying an egg the day you brought them home. Since it takes a hen roughly 26 hours to make an egg, chances are good she had started making that egg at her previous home, before she got stressed. As long as they're happy and healthy, I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

Hi guys so about 2-2.5 weeks ago i purchased four 7.5 month old laying hens from a local seller in my area who is trusted and pretty well known.

when i first introduced them they seemed to get comfortable and familiar fast. One of the four even going directly into the nesting box and layed an egg on the first day!

Unfortunately though the 3 other ones have not laid in over 2.5 weeks + which is pretty concerning. I was feeding 18% layered feed with oyster shells and occasionally some dried fly larve. I decided okay let me switch it up so i bought scratch and peck 16% layer feed and still week went by nothing. I tried fermenting the food and still nothing.

They free range for about 3-4 hrs a day in my backyard and then at night have got accustomed to naturally going back into the roost inside my coop. Which is a good sign. They seem to have got a hang of the schedule.

I wanted to see if anybody knows whats the problem? i really really need some advice here so even if you aren’t help if you know anybody that would help tag them below please 🙏🙏

also i thought they may have found a hidden spot in my backyard but i looked and looked everywhere flipped everything over, i can 100% say 3 out of the 4 haven’t laid anywhere yet. I know also that they see the nesting box and the fake eggs i have put in them.

here are pictures of my set up (i put them in the run because the gardeners are here lol) normally they free range around the whole backyard.
Zooming in on your picture the Buff pullet doesn’t look mature enough to lay. The combs and wattles turn red when a hen gets to laying age, like the white pullet. How mature do the other pullets look?

I agree with Nuthatched about the feed. Moving chickens is pretty stressful on them, and it can take them a while to adjust. I bought some point of lay pullets last year around this time, and they didn't lay till spring, even one who looked like she had been laying. You mentioned one of them laying an egg the day you brought them home. Since it takes a hen roughly 26 hours to make an egg, chances are good she had started making that egg at her previous home, before she got stressed. As long as they're happy and healthy, I don't think there's anything wrong with them.
but that one hen that laid the first day has continued to lay an egg per day for the past 2-3 weeks and the other ones haven’t even gone into the nesting area although seeing it

Zooming in on your picture the Buff pullet doesn’t look mature enough to lay. The combs and wattles turn red when a hen gets to laying age, like the white pullet. How mature do the other pullets look?
oh i didnt include my buff pullet she is 4.5 months she wont lay for a little my 4 other ones are the ones im talking about

I agree it's probably a combination of moving stress and if some of the birds weren't actively laying before you got them, the shortening day length could possibly delay it further.
should i be worried? or contact the seller on possibility getting them switched out? or should they eventually begin laying again. The guy i got them from told me they lay an egg per day. The one out of the 4 that is laying has been laying one every day for around 3 weeks

should i be worried? or contact the seller on possibility getting them switched out? or should they eventually begin laying again. The guy i got them from told me they lay an egg per day. The one out of the 4 that is laying has been laying one every day for around 3 weeks
I don't know how honest the seller is/isn't. If what they said is accurate, that they were all actively laying and they're all around 7 1/2 months, then they should gradually resume laying in the upcoming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom