Where Are My Foot Feathers?

I've seen chickens with both white and red in the same earlobe, so I think it is not a simple dominant/recessive trait. But if both parents match, I would expect the chick to match too.

It occured to me to wonder because the California White who could carry barring is the only one with white earlobes so I could look at the earlobes more closely as the chicks grow.

It occured to me to wonder because the California White who could carry barring is the only one with white earlobes so I could look at the earlobes more closely as the chicks grow.
Good point. Yes, if the cockerel grows up to have white in his earlobes, that might be a good indicator of having her for mother.

Ad he grows, his body shape might also give you some clues, because some of your breeds are distinctly different in shape.

Did you get the fcm hens from a hatchery. I know that ideal and cackle both have/or had a small statement in the description saying that clean leg birds (cuckoo marans) were possible. If so, I would assume that's because they may only have one gene from feathered legs. Am I wrong? @NatJ

Did you get the fcm hens from a hatchery. I know that ideal and cackle both have/or had a small statement in the description saying that clean leg birds (cuckoo marans) were possible. If so, I would assume that's because they may only have one gene from feathered legs. Am I wrong? @NatJ

I did get them from Ideal last year (and was going to order more this year, but they went to all clean-legged birds and I want feathers (had I only known I'd have ordered half a dozen more and a male!).

It probably means they are not selecting very carefully for leg feathers or not, so there are some birds who are pure for leg feathers, some with only one gene, and some with none.

For many people, the colored eggs are the most important point with that breed. So if the hatchery focuses on egg color, they probably please more customers than if they compromise on egg color to select for other traits like leg feathering. So I can see why they would do that, even though it is frustrating for people who also want the other traits the breed is known for!

Last edited:
I probably means they are not selecting very carefully for leg feathers or not, so there are some birds who are pure for leg feathers, some with only one gene, and some with none.

For many people, the colored eggs are the most important point with that breed. So if the hatchery focuses on egg color, they probably please more customers than if they compromise on egg color to select for other traits like leg feathering. So I can see why they would do that, even though it is frustrating for people who also want the other traits the breed is known for!

Up until this year they were carrying both types to order separately.

For hatchery birds I do get very nice egg color out of them. I just have a thing for feathered feet. :D

0215222003-jpg.2995245
0327221103-jpg.3069528

I did get them from Ideal last year (and was going to order more this year, but they went to all clean-legged birds and I want feathers (had I only known I'd have ordered half a dozen more and a male!).
I noticed that they made a lot of changes (in breeds) this year. I wanted some dorkings, but they are no longer listing them.
I have one of their welsummers. She lays a gorgeous egg. But she does have a few leg feathers. I'm not sure I would have even noticed, but she is a lap chicken.
The one white brahma that I've gotten from them, has sparse leg feathers. The buff is tiny for a standard, but is one of my prettiest birds.
I will say that the birds I've gotten from ideal are excellent layers and very healthy.

I noticed that they made a lot of changes (in breeds) this year. I wanted some dorkings, but they are no longer listing them.
I have one of their welsummers. She lays a gorgeous egg. But she does have a few leg feathers. I'm not sure I would have even noticed, but she is a lap chicken.
The one white brahma that I've gotten from them, has sparse leg feathers. The buff is tiny for a standard, but is one of my prettiest birds.
I will say that the birds I've gotten from ideal are excellent layers and very healthy.

When lurking here long ago before the town I lived in changed their chicken ordinances I learned that hatchery birds are highly variable so I should get more than I want and pick the best. :D

I like the birds I have from Ideal and figure that since their breeding flocks are in Texas they come pre-adapted to a hot climate.

What about white earlobes?

Since I'm delving down this rabbit hole. :D
I just saw a post in another thread, that might be relevant.
When they are a little older you might be able to tell by the ear lobe which are her chicks. I can still see white ear lobs on some of my birds 4 generations down the line.
(OP of that thread was trying to match chicks/parents.)

Back
Top Bottom