Where are those darn eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbolman, Oct 13, 2009.

1. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    [​IMG] Okay I know this has been asked a million times but...This Spring I bought a BO, BR, and 2 Bantams none of which are laying! They free range all day, plus scrapes and corn from the field outback. They come in at night and roost in their fancy house with the nice nesting boxes [​IMG]
    Three weeks ago I traded a silkie rooster for an Aracauna and a Delaware (I think) Both these hens came from yucky conditions and wouldn't you guess it I am getting an egg a day from each of them. The Aracauna gives me beautiful blue eggs and she is so laid back. My SW Rooster loves her. I want to get rid of both my bantams and get light Brahma chickens. Or anything that will give me more eggs. I am going to a poultry swap on Saturday, what breeds are docile and lay lots of eggs? And why aren't my other hens (BO, Barred Rock) giving me any...

[​IMG]

2. lbug

lbug Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Danville, California
    Quote:I have: Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock white, California White, easter egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte & Light Brahma. They're all 27 weeks and only 3 are laying so far. (RIR, Plymouth Rock white & California white)

The RIR are VERY good layers and sweet. She's been laying since she was 22 weeks.
    Are you feeding them layer feed?
    I free range my hens as well. But I wait until I see the eggs and around 11:00AM-12:00PM I let them out. Maybe your hens are laying elsewhere and some squirrel or some other animal is getting the eggs. I would test them.... keep them in the coop for a couple of days and see if they lay any eggs.

I hope it helps... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  3. therod

therod New Egg

Jun 11, 2009
    My chickens are weird! My 9 Barred Rocks were bought as chicks in May. About 4 weeks ago they started laying. But it was one egg per day only. Then, last week I found 7 eggs in the morning. Then they went back to one egg per day. I usually let them out to free range about 8:30 a.m. What's going on with these hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by