Where are you supposed to keep their feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AmazingGrace, Jun 10, 2011.

1. AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    A friend of mine said I should keep the feed in their coop/house so they will know where to go to bed and to eat. Is this right?

2. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    I think it's a personal preference. I have self feeders attached to the wall 'inside' and fill as needed. Right now I have water outside but have it 'inside' during the winter. [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Personally, I keep mine in the run. It keeps the birds and mice out of the area they lay their eggs.

You can feed them just about anywhere. Sometimes I have fed them inside the coop when it was raining, or when I wanted to catch some of them for some basic health checks. It's personal choice. [​IMG]

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I have feed and water in both the coop and run ....I have kittens in the barn that keep the mice out [​IMG]

5. barefootfarmers

barefootfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    We have feed inside available all the time and water inside and out. We never close the door from the indoor and outdoor coop so the food is always there for them if they get hungry.

6. Whatever you like. Your preference usually doesn't matter to the chooks so long as it is readily available.

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We feed in the coop and have water in and out. The door is kept open all day, and closed up tight at night. I do not want to attract all sorts of raccoons, rats, or whatever to the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by