Where are z eggs??

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
I bought 3 of my hens (as day olds) May 15th. Which would make them just under 6 months old. So where are the darn eggs? Shouldn't they be laying by now? They have a nest box in their coop and tractor. They do free range sometimes during the day but between the dogs and I, I'm sure we would find an errant egg. They are getting oyster shells and pastured so I imagine their diet is full and complete. Although they are still eating the grower feed because they live with 3 sixteen week old Buffs and I was told the extra calcium is not good for growing chicks.They are Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex. I was told this were good winter layers. Any thoughts?

I bought some RIR back in MARCH and just got my first egg yesterday. So they are nearing eight months old. I had been told they would lay at six months, but have read some lay as early as four months, so I was beginning to think there was something wrong with them!

They eat laying pellets and forage. They look and act plenty healthy, so I just let them do their own thing. I don't think you need to assume anything is wrong just because you've not gotten any eggs yet. My chickens seem fine. I guess they are just late bloomers.

Cassandra

My barred rocks started laying when they were about 22 weeks old. You could try giving your older hens laying pellets. I was told mine probably wouldn't start laying until I did. They're about 7 1\\2 months old now.

Maybe they're all roos?? Just kidding - hope you get those eggs soon!

I'm so looking forward to the end of Dec when my girls will be laying age, but after hearing these stories, I'm trying not to get my hopes up that we'll get anything before spring...

My spring chicks hatched May 28th. I have 3 RIR who have just started laying in the past couple weeks. Hang in there. Some take longer than others to start laying.

Domromer,
I've got the same problem! And I just checked again. I'll check when I tuck them in later.
barnie.gif

Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

Less light in the day will slow the process down, those hatched late in spring, may not start laying until there is more daylight. Or, you can put a light in the coop - with a timer that comes on in the morning around 4 AM or so and turns off at 8 AM to give them good 12-14 hours of light. You would want the evenings to gradually get dark naturally sudden darkness from turning the light off say at 10PM can disorient them and keep them from roosting. Last spring, I just left the light on 24/7 and they started laying at the end of October. I learned tho, that it was somewhat stressful for them. I think this year, I will find the lowest wattage bulb possible instead of the higher ones I used last year.

Back
Top Bottom