Where Can I Find Diatomaceous Earth?

I get any of those unusual soil amendments from Fedco's Organic Growers Supply. Their prices are usually pretty good.

Here's the listing in their online catalog. They sell the right type for animals.

Diatomaceous Earth Fine powder of microscopic diatom shells. Use as an anti-caking agent for feed and animal bedding.
Many additional uses. DE comes in two grades: pool filter grade is chemically treated and hazardous for mammals, therefore
should not be used. Our natural grade does not pose a respiratory hazard and is the right type to use with animals. 4# size OMRI, 50# size Nat’l List
8970: (4.0#) $11.00
8972: (50.0#) $40.00

Fedco is based in Maine, but they ship anywhere in the 48 contiguous States, I believe.

Good luck,

John

Here is yet another link to a food-grade DE source. Company name is Fertrell, and they have dealers who sell their products so you can avoid online ordering and associated shipping costs. I had a very difficult time finding food grade DE in PA, then found this company on the internet and located several dealers in my area using the "Locate A Dealer" tab in the upper right hand corner of the webpage. Picked up 50 lbs today for $34. Don't know how many states they supply to. May be a dealer close to your area.
smile.png

http://www.fertrell.com/insectcontrol.htm

OK, just got some so is the concesus that it will kill tape worms in dogs/cats? or is all hype?

I've never been able to find a scientific study that proves it does anything besides killing insects when it's dry.

Places that sell it will tell you it's some sort of miracle substance, but reality is it's about 85% Silica, which is the most abundant element on Earth.

If you want to kill tapeworms, use Safeguard (Fenbendazole)​

I use DE for my dogs...I not only feed it to them, but also dust them with it for fleas, so far so good....Im not gonna swear it works for everyone but it works for me....I also use it in my coops....

I buy it at my local FS store, because the owner is here on the forum with us, and I KNOW that it's food grade. The label will identify it-SEE?
http://www.diatomiteusa.com/shop/images/fossilshellflourbag2.jpg
The store suggested putting it lightly, as if you dusting with powered sugar. I've been more generous than that. I've supplied my birds with an old horse rubber feeding bucket with DE in it for their baths, but they prefer the floor--kids like the cardborad box better than a toy, same reasoning, I guess.
I also use it to help keep my horse's stalls dry. I remove and then fill their water after the dust settles on it. One suggestion: save a grain bag--the new plastic ones--and put the bag of DE inside of it before you open it--less waste, 'cause it's really powdery.

Back
Top Bottom