1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where can i find full grown hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by aubreynoramarie, Jun 7, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    does anyone know where i might be able to just buy adults? i bought three chicks from a feed store a few weeks back and so far its looking like i have two roos. i really dont want to raise more chicks, but i did want three hens.
    besides craigslist or something, is there a place i can call or anything to buy full grown hens? i live in reno nevada. thank you.

2. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    wow, thank you!

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    If you can wait just a little longer till your county or state fair, sometimes there are hens for sale ....I bought a lovely barred rock one year that layed eggs for years...

4. megathechicken

megathechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    You shouldn't buy chickens from when they're an adult. and the chickens may look like roosters, 2 of my chickens looked like roosters but turned out being a hen, it's only 5% chance of your chicken turning into a rooster [​IMG]

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    thanks guys, im going to give them a few more weeks as well [​IMG]

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    The only thing I don't really care for about the started pullets at murrays is they have their beaks cut.....

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:What? Why shouldn't you buy birds when they're an adult? There is a 50% chance your bird could be a rooster. Male (50%) or Female (50%).

OP, you can also look on your local craigslist, freecycle, and kijiji to see if anyone nearby is selling birds.

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    eew, you mean like they come with no beaks? alot of the city chickens in los angeles have no beaks, it looks awful [​IMG]

9. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    They have beaks, they're just shorter, blunted... I've seen them both ways, and their is less issue w pecking when their beaks are "trimmed" (not cut off all the way)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by