where can i find full grown hens?

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
does anyone know where i might be able to just buy adults? i bought three chicks from a feed store a few weeks back and so far its looking like i have two roos. i really dont want to raise more chicks, but i did want three hens.
besides craigslist or something, is there a place i can call or anything to buy full grown hens? i live in reno nevada. thank you.

3chimama

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If you can wait just a little longer till your county or state fair, sometimes there are hens for sale ....I bought a lovely barred rock one year that layed eggs for years...

megathechicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You shouldn't buy chickens from when they're an adult. and the chickens may look like roosters, 2 of my chickens looked like roosters but turned out being a hen, it's only 5% chance of your chicken turning into a rooster
wink.png

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Quote:
What? Why shouldn't you buy birds when they're an adult? There is a 50% chance your bird could be a rooster. Male (50%) or Female (50%).

OP, you can also look on your local craigslist, freecycle, and kijiji to see if anyone nearby is selling birds.

cracked_egg

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
They have beaks, they're just shorter, blunted... I've seen them both ways, and their is less issue w pecking when their beaks are "trimmed" (not cut off all the way)

Top Bottom