Where can I find Started Chicks on or close to Long Island?

j050402

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hello BYC Community!

Where can I find chickens or started chicks on Long Island or near by?

I am looking for 3-4 started chicks for a home coop on Long Island. I would even adopt chickens young enough to lay eggs.

I would love to raise Rhode Island Reds, but I am nervous about having day old chicks shipped and am worried about raising chicks.

Any guidance you can give is welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenn

I have seen chicks on Craigslist before. It will obviously be more difficult if you want a certain breed. Right now with winter coming is not really "chick" season, you may have to wait until spring. I had my chicks shipped to me as I could not get the breed I wanted locally. It was a good experience and the chicks came in healthy and ready to grow. Research types of chickens, find something you like and find a breeder or hatchery that carries that bird and invest in what you want. Hatchery birds will not be the same quality as a breeders birds, but most breeders don't sex chicks either so you will more than likely get a straight run of males and females.

BTW
welcome-byc.gif

On Long Island, out at the East End, I planned to order from the mail-order hatcheries( many to choose from), but it was not until November that I first got into raising backyard chickens. As such, I spent considerable time researching chicken breeds, coop manufacturers, hatcheries, suppliers of equipment and so on. As a result, I found out that chicks are inexpensive yet the shipping is not. My research brought me to Agway in Riverhead and in Southold. Both outlets were very helpful and will start taking orders the first week in March and the first week in May. I decided to wait (no choice as I only want six chicks and the hatcheries require 15 as a minimum during the winter months) and go to Talmadge Farms Agway in Riverhead in March. The chicks will arrive the first week in April. Good luck to another newcomer to this wonderful chicken raising experience!

Back
Top Bottom