Where can I get 1" Wire mesh for run?

chickeepoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
I've been to the Home Depot and Lowe's, and they don't have 1" wire mesh, just 1/4 and 1/2" mesh… I'm in Central Florida- anyone out there know where I can buy the 1" to finish this run? My hubby brought home chicken wire and I told him the raccoons could tear it up to get to our birds (in fact, one was just strolling down our street about an hour ago- walked right past me and wasn't scared. I don't like the looks of that).
hmm.png

Last edited:
1" mesh is an open door to rats and mice. You want 1/2" mesh for at least the bottom 12" preferably burried 18" down and going 12 to 24 inches above ground. Then you can go to the 1" stuff.

I've been to Florida, you got rats the size of large house cats. I'd really stick with the 1/2 if at all possible.

I got mine from lowes and I also saw it at ace hardware and true value if those are in your area. (look for coupons on line there were some great ones a couple of weeks ago).

Thanks for all your replies. I went out to Tractor Supply today and they have 1/2 inch in stock, but they said they don't carry the 1" mesh… until I pointed out the display tag and sku # for 1" cage wire, 24"x15' for $14.99. The they said they could order it and get it in about 2-3 weeks.

I was planning to screen over the wire to cut back on our little mosquito friends, figuring the 1" would keep out the predators… I guess rats and mice could squeeze through at night though if it isn't 1/2 " mesh. If they came in the daytime, they'd get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom