Where can i get an Automatic power switch relay setup incase of main heat lamp failure?

dough13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
What I am looking for or to build is some sort of automatic 110v plug in receptacle relay switch that will sense that a bulb has blown (or no power being used) and would then switch to an aux power receptacle that would send power to my aux bulb in in-case of a failure in the main bulb while I am away. I assume there would be some sort of relay setup that could achieve this. Any links or input would be greatly appreciated i am able to build this with help or i am willing to buy such a device already made if i know the name of the device which i know must be out there... BTW the lamps are 250 watt heat lamps for chickens and i want the aux lamp to power up automatically if/when the main bulb fails.

Last edited:
Try going to an electrical supply company and talking to one of their electricians. I have done this in the past and they can be very helpful and usually have the parts you need.

David

Try going to an electrical supply company and talking to one of their electricians. I have done this in the past and they can be very helpful and usually have the parts you need.

David

Thanks for the input i may have to resort to calling an electrician if i cant find any answers online. The answer has to be on the web somewhere I am sure i am not the only person who would like an automatic relay switch to turn on an auxiliary bulb if the main bulb burns out.. I know of a forum that specializes in wiring diagrams and relays etc. I will see if i can find it again and ask there .Maybe someone else could chime in if they know of something that would achieve what I need .If i find the answer i will surely post it here for future reference. .

Are you trying to heat your coop with heat lamps?
Not likely it's needed at all.

Where do you live and what kind of birds do yo have?

Are you trying to heat your coop with heat lamps?
Not likely it's needed at all.

Where do you live and what kind of birds do yo have?

I dont need to heat the coup just the ground below it where the chicks are 8 assorted layers and i live in NS. I have a backup lamp but it gets too hot to leave it on all of the time especially during the day. that is why i would like to find a switch that senses a current drop (bulb blown) and then switches to the other bulb..

I am imagining something like a surge bar type device with 2 110v plugs the number 1 plug would be the main power for my main heat lamp bulb to be plugged in to and the number 2 plug would have my backup heat lamp bulb plugged in and would normally be in a non powered state as long as there is current being drawn in the #1 plug (heat lamp powered and working normally). if the device detects that the #1 plug loses current draw (bulb blown) it switches power to the #2 plug automatically within 10-30 seconds and stays that way until the #1 plug has a current draw again (main bulb replaced). I know there has to be such a device in existence finding it is the problem lol.

I dont need to heat the coup just the ground below it where the 5 day old assorted layers are and i live in NS. I have a backup lamp but it gets too hot to leave it on all of the time especially during the day. that is why i would like to find a switch that senses a current drop (bulb blown) and then switches to the other bulb..

I am imagining something like a surge bar type device with 2 110v plugs the number 1 plug would be the main power for my main heat lamp bulb to be plugged in to and the number 2 plug would have my backup heat lamp bulb plugged in and would normally be in a non powered state as long as there is current being drawn in the #1 plug (heat lamp powered and working normally). if the device detects that the #1 plug loses current draw (bulb blown) it switches power to the #2 plug automatically within 10-30 seconds and stays that way until the #1 plug has a current draw again (main bulb replaced). I know there has to be such a device in existence finding it is the problem lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom