Where Can I Get Hatching, Fertile Turkey Eggs?

aframechicks

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
I have searched the web trying to find some fertile turkey eggs. Everything I read says that you cannot get eggs until the spring. I don't understand when my chickens lay every day, why there are no turkeys with fertile eggs. Please help me find some or direct me to a person. I love this chicken site and love my chickens. This site has helped me since I started with chickens four years ago. I recently hatched over 30 chicks from different breeds because I have loved having all kinds of varieties.

I also saw that fertile, hatching turkey eggs were recently sold on E-Bay. I would like to have a variety and raise them. Thank you for any help.

Doug

Turkeys are not like chickens. They do not lay an egg every 27 to 36 hours. Turkeys have a set laying season, based on the climate in which they live. So in cooler climates, turkeys do not lay until spring, and stop laying in the fall.

In warmer climates, (like where I am) my turkeys lay most of the year. Still, my turkeys just finished up laying, so you will probably have to find someone in a warmer climate, or wait.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping me to understand. I live in Central Florida and it sounds like there may a chance if there is someone here with turkeys.

While the big suppliers of turkey poults and eggs are out of stock, I do remember a thread discussing the annual production of eggs from the turkey hens, and some folks had eggs all year long. Perhaps you can locate such a source in the southern region as the mild winters seemed to be the defining factor. The colder regions have a short egg laying period compared to the warmer.

Maybe you can find that thread and contact the contributors for eggs. GL

Thank you so much for your post. I am not sure how to search for that thread. I have tried everything I can think of to locate some. I assume you mean a thread here on this forum. Am I correct with understanding your thoughts.

Thank you again for any direction that may be helpful to me.
Doug

You may find someone around here who is still getting eggs this late in the year. Fertility may not be much though.

I am in Florida too and my birds have packed it in for this season and are molting. It'll be next March or thereabouts before they get back into the mood again.

our last hen, just hatched out a batch of poults about three weeks ago...

We do have a BBW young hen, who's squatting right now, so hopefully she'll begin laying before spring...

other than that.. I'll have Bronze eggs in the spring, and not the BBB kind.. the old school heritage kind.

We have two girls and 1 male. We have had 36 or so eggs throughout the winter months. We aquired juvenile to adult birds from local farmer. We would like to raise turkeys but are not getting fertile eggs. So far the eggs laid in the nest are sat o for about 2 weeks we candle the eggs and Our pigs have enjoyed the scramble. A neighbor has made comments that the turkeys are artificially inseminated. Our male has a large girth and possibly is not reaching the female vent to breed, can you suggest what to do? are our birds to young?

Back
Top Bottom