Where can I give away my muscovy duckling?

highfive.gif
hugs.gif

x2!!

Im not sure, CelticOaksFarm said I cant keep her ( I found out its a girl
clap.gif
) she thinks Im her mommy, and if I leave her in her brooder alone she starts crying crazy! She also loves my dog tobby. He's nice with her :) I have everything she needs: food, water, heat lamp, company,and LOTS of love
love.gif
!!!! We are trying to get her mom to accept her but all she does is swing her by the tail like if she was a worm
barnie.gif

We love Tina very much :)

Im not sure, CelticOaksFarm said I cant keep her ( I found out its a girl
clap.gif
) she thinks Im her mommy, and if I leave her in her brooder alone she starts crying crazy! She also loves my dog tobby. He's nice with her :) I have everything she needs: food, water, heat lamp, company,and LOTS of love
love.gif
!!!! We are trying to get her mom to accept her but all she does is swing her by the tail like if she was a worm
barnie.gif

I'd give up on mama accepting her, she abandoned her for some reason only she knows. Just my 2cents but since Muscovies are so hated in the state of Fl. and others too, why not keep her and just keep it quiet. They are alot of work though so before you make a complete commitment think about it very hard because now that she is with you she probably won't make it later on if you decided to put her back where you got her. I thought you had found someone to take her? and yes she has imprinted on you which means she really does think you are her mama. Give her a stuffed animal to keep her company when you can't be with her, even a mirror with safe edges would help. They can mess up their brooder quiet quickly so you need to keep up with that for health reason. I have Muscovy and can tell you they are sweet ducks.

Actually I said it is illegal to keep the duckling for 3-4 months and then return it to the wild. (as you had mentioned doing earlier) keeping to keep FL could care less if you keep a scovy duckling.

No... muscovies are not loved in Florida. I live in Ocala, Florida. A few years ago the city was going to round up and kill something like 200 muscovy ducks from a local city park, ironically named "the duck pond". The park is in a fairly affluent part of town and the snooty soccer moms were complaining about the poo on the sidewalks (really...) and claiming the ducks were "getting aggresive and starting to attack people" (LOL). The real deal was, it's cute when those people go to the park to feed the ducks and a few cuties come running, it's NOT so cute when 150 hungry ducks converge on you when they see snacks LOL (keep in mind, there's big signs all over the park saying DO NOT FEED DUCKS). They weren't being mean, just hungry! Anyway, if I remember right the city rounded up a large portion of the ducks and some group challenged the city in court and got it delayed. One of the big local horse farms stepped up took them all so they wouldn't be euthanized. It was a big deal around here for awhile. What's funny is the city still removes ducks, they are just much quieter about it now.

No... muscovies are not loved in Florida. I live in Ocala, Florida. A few years ago the city was going to round up and kill something like 200 muscovy ducks from a local city park, ironically named "the duck pond". The park is in a fairly affluent part of town and the snooty soccer moms were complaining about the poo on the sidewalks (really...) and claiming the ducks were "getting aggresive and starting to attack people" (LOL). The real deal was, it's cute when those people go to the park to feed the ducks and a few cuties come running, it's NOT so cute when 150 hungry ducks converge on you when they see snacks LOL (keep in mind, there's big signs all over the park saying DO NOT FEED DUCKS). They weren't being mean, just hungry! Anyway, if I remember right the city rounded up a large portion of the ducks and some group challenged the city in court and got it delayed. One of the big local horse farms stepped up took them all so they wouldn't be euthanized. It was a big deal around here for awhile. What's funny is the city still removes ducks, they are just much quieter about it now.
I followed this very close. They blame the ducks when it's the people who can't read.. Such a shame.

There's another large park in downtown Ocala and there are a lot of ducks out there, mostly muscovies. I've seen the population grow by quite a bit over the past year or so, and I know that they will be "re-locating" ducks soon. When I go to this park I keep seeing one pair of ducks that I honestly want to duck-nap. They are just so friendly and sweet. I asked the ranger about them, called the parks department about trying to adopt them, etc, etc, and got the usual beuracratic run around. They honestly don't care about ducks and see them as a nuisance.

There's another large park in downtown Ocala and there are a lot of ducks out there, mostly muscovies. I've seen the population grow by quite a bit over the past year or so, and I know that they will be "re-locating" ducks soon. When I go to this park I keep seeing one pair of ducks that I honestly want to duck-nap. They are just so friendly and sweet. I asked the ranger about them, called the parks department about trying to adopt them, etc, etc, and got the usual beuracratic run around. They honestly don't care about ducks and see them as a nuisance.
That's just sad.

Lydia its only sad if you live somewhere else and just read the story. Like watching a TV show, or looking through glass. The issue is we dont have winters here, EVERYTHING thrives here in this state, we have a HUGE issue with invasive animals killing off native animals all together. There are mega pythons in the state, they arent going anywhere, they are spreading and breeding. Muscovy are sweet birds, but prolific breeders and excellent setters. Given we dont have winters to stop the laying, they can quickly over populate an area here making it rare to see native wild birds. Or worse cross breed with others and then you have a ton of sterile ducks using up resources. Its a fine line, but one that has to be taken seriously. There isnt enough space to allow every dumped, ferrel animal to just live out its life. if there was this would be a perfect world. If humans would stop being irresponsible and dumping their cute Easter ducks and geese parks wouldnt have near the problems they do now.

she thinks Im her mommy, and if I leave her in her brooder alone she starts crying crazy! She also loves my dog tobby. He's nice with her :)
Yes, Tina has "imprinted" with you, and apparently with her. She really does think you're her mommy and tobby is her flock. She will not be happy and thrive elsewhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom