where can i order freedom rangers?

Quote:
I also thought 25 was too many to do at one time. I got them anyway. I've decided I will process in small amounts over a few weeks then it won't be so bad.

Quote:
Could you get freezer space from family/friends? We offered to give a bird or two in return for storing several.

Also, you don't have to butcher them all at once...mine were plenty big enough at nine weeks, at twelve when we actually processed them, they ran 5 lbs and up...so if you could solve the storage problem, you could butcher them at intervals. Other than the fact that they get huge (we got 8 meals out of the first bird we ate, he was 5 1/4 lb - and that's not counting soup made from the carcass or chicken salad made from the scraps!), you could let them grow out several months more than the usual age. They're healthy birds, and will live normal lives, so if you got 25, you could butcher some at nine weeks and just do the rest on an "as needed" basis. There was a great article on cooking "older" chickens (like heritage breeds, who take more like 16 weeks to grow big enough to eat). I printed out a copy of it for myself, would be happy to share or try to find it on the forum and tell you where it is so you could print it out yourself...just pm me if you want it.

I ordered 50 and offered the extra chicks up for sale on our local backyard chickens list. Got so much response from people that I called JM and doubled the order to 100. Now we have a little meat bird community here and we're going to split more orders in the future.

Back
Top Bottom