1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I take a roo to be processed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mad Prophet, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Mad Prophet

Mad Prophet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern California
    While we thought we had only pullets, we did get a roo and the neighbors are complaining. I don't want to do the deed myself and I've tried for two weeks to rehome him with no luck. So where do I call to have him processed before the city steps in? A butcher? I'm at a loss...

2. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    It can be hard to find someone else to do it... About the ad that you have up, have you tried craigslist? Also I don't know what your ad is like, but the wording may be weeding out a few people who would want to eat him. So if you indicate that he would be good with his own flock or as dinner, you may get better results from your ad than if you indicate you're looking for a forever home for him.

Aside from craigslist, do you have any friends who hunt? They might be willing to help you out.

3. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    In the meantime, can you move him into the garage or something at night so the neighbors don't call city hall?

4. Mad Prophet

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern California
    No, but the neighbors are reasonable. I still have two days. Advertised in CL with improved clarity. :)

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Small scale poultry processing is tough - most places don't want to touch poultry because of salmonella - they have to use different equipment than on everything else - and these places typically make most of their money with large livestock, or hunter kills - changing out all their equipment to do a single $6 chicken just isn't worth it.

Everyone who wants to home a rooster already has one - you should be looking for someone who wants to eat one. The meat is payment for doing the work, and getting the bird out of your yard.

6. Mad Prophet

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern California
    Well, first, I'm going to be a bit defensive. I was promised a pullet and these are my first ever chickens. I had no idea, till I did, that it was a roo. Second, I did advertise him as either pet or plate. A very nice couple took him and one of my pullets to keep as pets on a nice piece of property. I'm quite happy.

7. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm glad you found someone to take him!

8. Mad Prophet

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you! I am too. I was only considering this because I was out of options!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by