1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can Luna lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Our coop is configured so that the nesting boxes are at counter height. My sweet little Silkie, Luna, has no way to access that area since she doesn't fly. Will she know to pick out a spot on the ground? Is there something I can/should do to prepare a nesting spot for her?

She's five months old. I know Silkies aren't big layers, but she will lay a few eggs here and there, right?

[​IMG]

2. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I would put a nest box close to the ground. Luna is such a cutie!!!![​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

A next box on the ground level is best. If you don't provide a nest she will find a place that is most comfortable and safe. Luna is beautiful!

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for the advice and the compliments [​IMG] Luna is from MPC, we've been very pleased with how pretty and calm she is.

I just hope the other chickens don't decide to try to lay where we set up a nest for her - it's so easy to get the eggs from the nest up above on the counter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by