Where did my eggs go?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daniel-delarosa, Jun 11, 2011.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    Went to check on my broody hen, due to hatch the little ones this week, and her eggs were gone. I know them from the mark that I put on them. I dug all around the nesting boxes and no bueno. None of the other eggs were touched that were in the nesting box next to hers. Snake perhaps?

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i would say snake i have never had that happen tho i have snake problems all the time the the brody hens are very good at protcteding there nests sorry about your loss

3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I had it happen last week. I had a silkie on 5 duck eggs. Then one day there were only 4. No sign of it anywhere! A couple of days later, another egg was thrown out of the nest box, it wasn't fertile. I thought snake at first too, then I figured she got rid of it somewhere.

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I had that happen with duck eggs. Sneaking fox took them all. Look for any access point. Foxes don't need much room to squeeze in. All I found was a six inch deep hole about eight inches wide. I waited up a few nights and saw the bugger sneaking in through the same hole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by