Where did this egg come from?

wanda047

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hardy, Arkansas
I checked nests this morning... and found a "brown" egg in my silkie pen! The only hens/pullets in this particular coop/run are Miss Mufffin, who lays a very pretty little white egg, 7 chicks which are only a few weeks old and New York, the Aracuana/Silkie Mix I acquired from MagsRags which is only 10 weeks old. There is no way for any other hen to get into this coop. Anybody have any ideas?? Is it possible for a hen who has been laying white eggs to suddenly lay a brown one? (Mr. Jingle, my buff silkie is the only roo in the pen) Or is it possible for a 10 week old pullet to lay? I am completely bumfuzzled!

This is a photo of the mystery egg (brown) next to two of Miss Muffin's eggs.

26140_mystery-egg.jpg

My "guess" would be the Aracuana/Silkie Mix but the egg is rather big for a new layer....I believe I read somewhere on here that someones hen layed a different color egg so maybe that is possible as well....sorry I am no real help.

Are you sure Mr. Jingle is a boy?

No question about it... Mr. Jingles is definitely all male! I'm hatching out his and Miss Muffin's eggs now.

the egg is rather big for a new layer

The egg had quite a bit of blood on it, which made me think it had to be a first layer. Also Miss Muffin lays an egg every other day. Yesterday was her "day off".
smile.png
I'm actually hoping that New York is the culprit, though she is very young.

Thanks for the replies.​

Back
Top Bottom