Where did you get your chickens' names

joebwe25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 1, 2007
St. Louis, Mo.
I would like to know where all of you got the inspiration for your chickens' names.

I got Henny & Penny from Chicken little.
And if you've ever watched Gilligan's Isle then you'll probably know where I got their names.

I would like to here your's.

Well, it's kind of fun to let the kids name the chickens here...........and other assorted pets. We have an 11 year old Rottweiler named "Buzz Lightyear" , a Boxer named Rocky Balboa and other silly things.....a cat named Flash Gordon.another cat named Snowbell ..
but the chickens we have now are 5 hens.......
one of course named Henny Penny, then we have Ruby and Ada (from the Cold Mountain Movie)
then Houdini (who kept escaping from the pen) and last but not least we have Peaches, which I named because she is a big chubby reddish hen the kids kept calling her football and I thought she needed a more feminine name!! That's how ours all got named!

I got mine from there color and there personality and a site that i found but i can't remember. for instans i named mine ebony (a black rock) cause she is black feathered or angel because it can fly.but otherwise you just have to look at its personality and put it into a word!!!

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

My kids named them - and the names change sometimes too. Currently we have Isabelle, Sparkle, Shark-Boy, Spiderman, Little Chick (who will be named Big Chick when she grows up) and Boogeyman.

I named my newest pullet Estee because she was delivered to me by a friend in an Estee Lauder box. Was going to name her Tammy or Amy but it had to be Estee. The others:
Hannah because I like the name, Liza Jane for the bluegrass song (Oh poor Liza, little Liza Jane), and Audrey after my husband's step-grandmother who was also kind of loud.
smile.png
We've also had Libby, named after the town my husband grew up in (she lived to be 10 years old), Rosie (after a favorite aunt), Sophie and Sadie, Phoebe, Zoe, Millie, Bea, Emily, Ruby, Ginger, Daisy, and Molly.

Last edited:
My daughter named our buff orpington "Butterfly"...I might call her Madame Butterfly when she's grown. I wanted to name her Fanny Farmer, and so did my husband, but that was strictly poo-pooed by our daughter.

We have a australorp who has gone through a variety of names..."Alice" Waters (African American owner of Chez Panisse restaurant), Jelly Bean, BBC (big black chicken).

Our silver laced wyandotte has had a few names also...Chicken Jane, Marion Cunningham (of the Fanny Farmer cookbook), Pansy Runner (because she grabs pansy blossoms and runs with them just peeping and playing keep away).

Fritatta (an egg dish?) is also a candidate..."Tatta" for short.

Suzette, as in Crepes suzette, but I have a friend name Suzanne.
hmm.png

My husband thinks Club Sandwich is hilarious. :|

My father wanted to name the Barred rock "salt & pepper", and the buff orpington "garlic".
roll.png

I myself would NEVER kill a chicken (for dinner). My father wouldn't either but he still calls them that from time to time.

Last edited:
My Chickens names are based on the chicken itself. Their coloring, personality, and many famous influences. righ now we have:
Speedy
Callie
Lucy
Sandy
Dolly
Marylin
Rosa
Aretha
Farrah
faith
Fae
Daisy
Speckles
Red
Beaker
Dusty
Angel
Sydney
Alcatraz
Angola
Attica
Levenworth
San Quentin
Sing Sing
Folsom
Becky Sue
Pumpkin
Tatertot
Babs
Zippity Doodle
Lola
Cheeky
Cherry

Some of them we named after current events. or singers.

Like we have "highlights" aka "lights " after larry birkhead

Lights;s clutch mate that we thought was a girl was mean so we called her "Virgie Arthur". Well now He's "king Arthur"
We got them 2 in the spring lol.

Some RIR's Reba, Julia roberts, "Lucy" Lucille ball.
And one reds name is " shake-n-bake"

and others with no names yet

Back
Top Bottom