If I get a mate for my male White Chinese Goose, will he still guard the flock or abandon them?

Feb 1, 2024
I have a White Chinese Goose(you can see him there on the picture) love him lots, but he is reaching the age where he will want to start mating, and I wondered if I got him a mate, will he still protect our 36 chickens? He grew up with them since they were a day old and he was 5 days old. (his name is Rubber Ducky, he looked and sounded like one when he was little, and it has become and affectionate name for him❤️ he knows his name, too:D!!)

Hi, I'm sorry no one has responded to your post yet! Geese won't really protect chickens even if they are alone with them. They will set up an alarm. You should definitely get him a girlfriend, otherwise he may try mating the chickens and could injure or even kill them. I like his name; he is a pretty gander!

I have a White Chinese Goose(you can see him there on the picture) love him lots, but he is reaching the age where he will want to start mating, and I wondered if I got him a mate, will he still protect our 36 chickens? He grew up with them since they were a day old and he was 5 days old. (his name is Rubber Ducky, he looked and sounded like one when he was little, and it has become and affectionate name for him❤️ he knows his name, too:D!!)
I know nothing about geese but i have heard that if they get a mate they will ingore the chickens. But again i know nothing about geese so take what i say with a big platter of salt

As stated above, geese would rather protect themselves than a totally different species that does not really matter to them. They will sound an alarm and try to protect themselves (which chickens also do), but that is really the most they will do. And, more importantly than that, everyone underestimates the danger of keeping waterfowl with landfowl. If a waterfowl male mates with a landfowl female, then the female will have her insides ripped apart and she will bleed to death. It is better to not risk something like that happening, especially when your goose is getting to the breeding age. Even if he has a female goose with him, he is so used to being around chickens that he will most likely still try to breed them, because that is what he grew up with. The best thing to do is separate him.

Last edited:
As stated above, geese would rather protect themselves than a totally different species that does not really matter to them. They will sound an alarm and try to protect themselves (which chickens also do), but that is really the most they will do. And, more importantly than that, everyone underestimates the danger of keeping waterfowl with landfowl. If a waterfowl male mates with a landfowl female, then the female will have her insides ripped apart and she will bleed to death. It is better to not risk something like that happening, especially when your goose is getting to the breeding age. Even if he has a female goose with him, he is so used to being around chickens that he will most likely still try to breed them, because that is what he grew up with. The best thing to do is separate him.
As of yet we have not had any problems, but if we start to, then we will most certainly do that.

As of yet we have not had any problems, but if we start to, then we will most certainly do that.
If he makes any sign of wanting to breed the chickens (which will likely be soon as you have already mentioned he displays mating behavior), remove him immediately. Can't take the chance of your hens' insides being ripped apart.

Back
Top Bottom