Where did you get your coop design from?

novillero

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Monmouth County, NJ
I will be attempting to build my first coop this winter, and I was wondering where people came up with their designs, or inspiration for their coops.

The long and short of it, I am looking for ideas for both style and function.

welcome-byc.gif

I just checked out a lot of people's coop pages and improvised my own design from my favorite features.

Well I didnt have much choice on hom my coop looked. It was already here from a previous guy who had poultry. I did look at as many pics of peoples coops here on BYC to perfect the inside of my coop to my expectations! Lol. Look at the coop pages. They help a lot!

welcome-byc.gif

My coop design came from all the materials I found/recycled. I knew I wanted all the windows on one side so it could face north in the summer and south in the winter.

it is the funniest story about my design.
When I decided to build my coop I swear I just started building the 10x10 block foundation without even thinking what I am gonna do,then I said ok I will frame the coop and I will make it as areal nice room, so I framed the walls with my friends help as a regular size house walls, and after I finished the building I stated adding things on it till it was completed.
see my webpage below!!!!

Omran.

My first coop changed in midstream so many times it wound up nothing like what I had originally envisioned. All the blame for that goes to my husband who kept adding on things he wanted included.

My chicken tractor evolved as I scraped together material to make it.

The second coop was a scribble on a piece of paper and some salvaged windows. I just made it up as I went along.

I did look at a ton of other people coops online to get ideas on how big to make stuff like nest boxes, pop doors and roosts.

One truism, your coop will NEVER be big enough!

Omran,
Very nice coop. My friends down the block and I fixed up an old boat house into a coop and everythig was free and from dumpsters all over the city. Wood, flooring, siding, roofing, windows, fence posts, chain link fencing, and even insulation. The small building looks far from the delapitated, old, buildng it looked like when we started. It's amazing what you can find in the garbage when you really keep your eyes open!!

Sandy J - citychicker

My not-yet-completed coop is based on plans from a poultry raising correspondence course from the 1920s. Called the Quisenberry Fool-Proof plan it is really big on draft free ventilation. I have yet to complete the interior appointments, but the bulk of the work is done. It is 10' deep X 12' wide. Anything over 120 sq. ft. requires a building permit around here, otherwise I would have built something larger.
db

1660_new_coop_001.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom