Where do free range momma and chicks sleep?

natemoore1986

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Just curious where a free range mother hen and her brood of chicks would sleep. Could young chicks follow their mother up a ladder or ramp to get into a roost?

Chicks under one week will have a problem trying to get into any nest other than at ground level. Toward the end of week one, chicks have enough wing development to make hops of a few inches. By the end of week two, they can flutter up to a nest a foot off the ground. Maybe more.

Chicks under one week will have a problem trying to get into any nest other than at ground level. Toward the end of week one, chicks have enough wing development to make hops of a few inches. By the end of week two, they can flutter up to a nest a foot off the ground. Maybe more.

So for now, the seven gallon bucket on the ground is good. Awesome.

Also, the mama might go down and sleep with her chicks if there is no heat lamp.

For now, all they have (mom and her one chick) is the 7 gallon bucket and a tarp to give them shade. I'm designing a new coop that can hold up to 12 roosting chickens. I'm wondering if very young chicks can walk up a slightly inclined ramp to the coop? I'm only going to elevate it about a 15" above the ground so they can have shade underneath.

Baby chicks have no problem with ramps, especially after the first week. I do, however, recommend stapling a non-skid material onto the ramp temporarily to give tiny claws traction.

I've had the new coop ready for occupancy for several days, but she still prefers the bucket on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom