Where do hatcheries get their chicks?

hit.gif
somad.gif
What can we do????? Why were they killing the chicks? I would take all of them, and their fluffy butts.
hit.gif

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

hit.gif
somad.gif
What can we do????? Why were they killing the chicks? I would take all of them, and their fluffy butts.
hit.gif

Since the egg laying breeds are produced by the 100's of MILLIONS, yes millions of chicks each year, and only the females are desired, the rooster chicks are killed. There is no market for them. These are chick breeds produced for eggs. These are not meat birds. What would anyone do with the hundreds of millions of egg-laying breed roosters?​

make more egg laying hens?? Or create the chickens their own chicken preserve, island ,or something, Give them as pets to be hand raised, Sell them as reptile food, where they wouldn't die in vain.
barnie.gif
Sorry I know I'am not being sain, but da chickens
hit.gif

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

make more egg laying hens?? Or create the chickens their own chicken preserve, island ,or something, Give them as pets to be hand raised, Sell them as reptile food, where they wouldn't die in vain.
barnie.gif
Sorry I know I'am not being sain, but da chickens
hit.gif

They are basically reptile food now, but instead of reptile I have heard the chicks are ground up for dog food. I doubt they just waste the meat. A island is expensive, and wouldn't be able to support the large majority of birds; resulting in starvation.

Even if we just allowed them to run free in the US they would eventually overpopulate the area so much they would probably cause wrecks, starve themselves (and maybe us) out, and be a wolves heaven.

Wrecks may sound odd, but really think about it.. 100 of millions of birds, everywhere... Then breeding with other birds which could have 5-10 chickens or more a hatch. You're talking plague of the chickens in due time, one flies across a road or runs into the road and someone tries to dodge= wreck.​

Quote:
I now have a rooster to hatch chicks, but I always want new breeds. I try to get my chicks from feedstores that support local breeders, but that's not always possible. I don't want to support inhumane chicken practices....one of the reasons I have my own chickens to begin with.

Every feedstore I've ever spoken to gets their chicks from large hatcheries and marks them up to their customers.

Quote:
Id be very suprised if Martha Stewart ever atually raised her own chicks. Or built her own coop for thag matter. I wouldnt take her word on anything chicken related other than ways to decorate with chickens or liven up a chicken dinner

I'd be surprised if she even knew what part of the chicken the egg comes from.

Tracdr... I live in a very progressive town and many a couple local feed stores get some of their chicks from local breeders with personal descriptions of the breeders etc. Again, I am fortunate to live in an area that offers these options readily. I can also get many, many more rare breeds from small local farms from Craigslist here. Then I can visit the farm as well.

If you search some of the big name hatcheries they usauly have websites and will show you videos of how they incubate eggs, how they transport eggs, where they get eggs from... etc. But whether or not what they say is true, I don't know.

I ordered 16 EE chicks from Cackle Hatchery last March. I was actually surprised at how robust & healthy they were! They have to be doing something right. Just sayin....

Back
Top Bottom