Where do I buy 2" by 4" wire and Hardware cloth.............

4 Love of Baby Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
The middle of Middle Tennessee
for a good price?

I am only getting $140 a week at my job. I am planning on making at least 3 breeding/broody pens inside this 8' by 10' stall inside my coop. It used to be my chicken coop until we made a safer coop. + it will be a better and warmer place for my chickens to roost in the winter. But I need that kind of wire to keep them safe from predators.

I'm gonna use chicken wire to seperate the chickens from one another. Not to make the pens itself.

I am gonna use the pens for breeding pens when I want purebred eggs from my RIR's, breeding RSL's, & breeding BSL's. I will also use 1 of them for my Barred Japanese bantam cockeral Salt and a barred Jap pullet if I can find one.

The best price on hardware cloth will likely be found at someplace like a grain growers' or farmers' co-op - not at a "big box" chain store like Home Depot, or Lowes. (The Home Depot near me does not even carry larger than 10 ft long rolls of 3' wide 1/4" x 1/4"!) The price you pay may depend upon the quantity (# of feet off the roll) that you purchase.

For example, I live in the Southeastern corner of Washington state, near the borders of both Idaho and Oregon, and I found the best value at the Wallowa County (Oregon) grain growers's association co-op - no state sales tax, and either 1/4" x 1/4", or 1/2" x 1/2" grid welded hardware cloth were priced at $1.35/ft (their store had the buying power of True Value hardware, FWIW...) Anyway, this price beat every other option silly...by at least $.25 per foot - and they had 100' long rolls of two foot, three foot, or four foot widths. I bought and paid for 125'...the gentleman cutting the cloth for me threw in an extra 12+ feet of the three foot width - and further discounted the price by $.10/foot

May I also suggest that you use wood screws (drywall screws are fairly cheap) and fender washers instead of what are called poultry staples?! This is because they are easier to work with by far, more adaptable and also more adjustable. It is slightly more expensive, but if you want to change something around, you simply unscrew and re-hang. Don't try that with staples - it is just not that easy. The screws and washers were also almost $2 cheaper per 1 lb package than the Home Depot prices

Lightfoote

Thanks! I'll go look at those places tomorrow.

@ Speckled Hen - My computor went crazy and that's why I accidently posted the same topic twice. Sorry about that.
hmm.png

Definitely home depot or Lowe's. I actually found a 100 ft roll of 6ft tall 2x4 welded wire at an Ollies (outlet store) for $65. The starting price off it around here is normally $120, so check with some of your bargain outlets.

Never forget the treasure trove that is craigslist. My husband and I got free fence posts from our neighbor when he decided to replace his post and rail fence with high tensile wire. Ask around with people you know. Someone might have a roll in a shed, gathering dust. You also might have luck at a local auction. We had a Southern States close shop near us and bought a mountain of useful things like feeders, nest boxes, and various sundry items at a really, REALLY good price.

Back
Top Bottom