Where do I even begin to help my chicken?

I lifted up her tail feathers and tried to get a decent picture. Looks like dried poop down below her vent and some wet poop on and around her vent.

Warm bath? Anything else?

Thank you all!

I had a hen last winter with sort of the same symptoms plus was molting. Was a rack of bones. Kept her in a dog create in the house about a week until she started eating. She took about 3 months to lay. No clue what was wrong with her. She has a different look about her and keeps more to herself.

Try feeding her a scrambled egg or yogurt mixed in her feed. I ferment my feed so they always get some water mixed in.

I had a hen last winter with sort of the same symptoms plus was molting. Was a rack of bones. Kept her in a dog create in the house about a week until she started eating. She took about 3 months to lay. No clue what was wrong with her. She has a different look about her and keeps more to herself.

Try feeding her a scrambled egg or yogurt mixed in her feed. I ferment my feed so they always get some water mixed in.

I had one hen that did the same thing as ur describing and she did recover but it took forever i think she was cold sensetive and had a calcium deficiency so she took the molt really hard and stopped laying.

I lifted up her tail feathers and tried to get a decent picture. Looks like dried poop down below her vent and some wet poop on and around her vent.

Warm bath? Anything else?

Thank you all!

I would put her under a heat lamp away from the others. Hiw much weight has she lost? Unfortunately I dont think she is going to make it but iam no expert. She looks very lethargic is her comb becoming discolored?

Last edited:
Have you tried dusting the coop with the mite dust because this happend to me with the mites. They were in the coup and at night feeding on the hens, and 2 of my hens died from egg peritonitis. I think it is because the mites are sucking out the bood and with it the calcium content making the egg shells thin and thus causeing them to break inside the hen. Iam no expert but I think this is what happened to me so I think getting rid if the mites will help prevent this from happening to others. If it is egg peritonitis that is.

She has lost a little weight but I do not know how much, but nothing drastic. She ate yogurt this morning along with a bit of grain. I gave her peas but she didn't touch them. She also drank quite a bit of water with probiotics in it.

Last thing I did was give her a warm bath with Epsom salt to relax her and cleaned off the poop from her feathers, feet, and vent.

I dusted the whole entire coop with diatomaceous earth.

I have not yet palpated her crop but will do that next and see what happens.

The other chickens aren't bothering her so for now they are all together. I will separate her before they sleep or if anyone thinks it should be done now for good reason.

Do you feed a formulated ration? Curious as you keep mentioning giving her grain. Too much grain will cause lots of internal fat that leads to many health problems like heart failure and internal laying.

Yes, it's formulated, and she hadn't had her ration for breakfast so I gave her a little, not her normal amount that she would get.

I'm so sorry but my little Rosie which was a RIR looked just like that and she died the next week. We didn't no what it was so we brought her in cleaned her up and tyres to relax her but it didn't help. The only thing we got her to eat was some mashed potatoes and she didn't drink. A few days later we took her back out to the coop to see if she would eat or drink out of the normal feeders and waterers that she was use to and we if she had a egg stuck maybe she would lay it because we gave her some stuff to try to ease the egg out if that was the problem. Well she died that night :( it was the hardest time for me and now recently we had 3 more die from a coon. Its been a bad year for me :(

Back
Top Bottom