Where do I find finisher feed for turkeys?

Meat Bird feed is not appropriate for young turkey poults. It does not have the proper amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin that is best for turkey poults.
But if you added that into the feed then it would be sufficient? I add vitamins and minerals to the feed. I just do as I'm told and I haven't had issues so far. Thank you for your help and explaining what it's deficient in. My TSC and Southern states doesn't sell any feed for turkeys so maybe that's why I'm told to use that and add what I add.

I'm also getting my information about turkeys being able to eat this from the actual product recommendation guide on the back of the bag... I'm not going to argue with scientists that have built this feed.

IMG_20191105_105503.jpg

But if you added that into the feed then it would be sufficient? I add vitamins and minerals to the feed. I just do as I'm told and I haven't had issues so far. Thank you for your help and explaining what it's deficient in. My TSC and Southern states doesn't sell any feed for turkeys so maybe that's why I'm told to use that and add what I add.
You cannot trust the information that chain feed stores give. They are in the business of selling what is profitable for them rather than what is good for your poultry.

Meat Bird feed is also deficient in the protein content that turkey poults should have.

I feed my turkey poults a 28% protein feed that has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that is appropriate for them.
I'm also getting my information about turkeys being able to eat this from the actual product recommendation guide on the back of the bag... I'm not going to argue with scientists that have built this feed.

View attachment 1952190
Your assumption that this feed was designed by scientists is faulty. There are lots of unscrupulous companies out there that have only their own profitability in mind. You can research the studies that have been done and their recommendations for the proper feed and you will find that the feed shown is deficient in the proper requirements.

Here is one place to begin your research.

Three common turkey diet deficiencies

You cannot trust the information that chain feed stores give. They are in the business of selling what is profitable for them rather than what is good for your poultry.

Meat Bird feed is also deficient in the protein content that turkey poults should have.

I feed my turkey poults a 28% protein feed that has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that is appropriate for them.

Your assumption that this feed was designed by scientists is faulty. There are lots of unscrupulous companies out there that have only their own profitability in mind. You can research the studies that have been done and their recommendations for the proper feed and you will find that the feed shown is deficient in the proper requirements.

Here is one place to begin your research.

Three common turkey diet deficiencies
I don't trust anything that chain stores tell me, I don't even get information from them. I just buy my feed from them, I'm a label reader.

This is the only feed that any store around me has that says it is good for turkeys and other meat birds. I don't get turkeys until spring every year so I have plenty of time to find another feed. I bet I could get the TSC manager to order turkey feed though plus they don't have quail feed so I have to figure that out before January.

I don't trust anything that chain stores tell me, I don't even get information from them. I just buy my feed from them, I'm a label reader.

This is the only feed that any store around me has that says it is good for turkeys and other meat birds. I don't get turkeys until spring every year so I have plenty of time to find another feed. I bet I could get the TSC manager to order turkey feed though plus they don't have quail feed so I have to figure that out before January.
If you are lucky, some TSC managers will special order feed for you. Unfortunately, this does not apply to all TSC managers. TSC does carry Purina and Purina does make and sell 30% protein Game Bird + Turkey Startena.

When my local feed store closed, I had to get a new source for turkey starter. The other local feed store refused to order it for me and the local Murdoch's tried to convince me that it had been discontinued. Fortunately for me, Sutherland's carries some feeds and were delighted to start carrying it.

My only other option would have been to become my own feed store. I have no doubt that others would have appreciated to have a place to get the right feeds from.

215FB8AB-590C-4C3D-8C7D-EEFC12D478DB.jpeg
Ok! Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all the input! Very good info.

My turkeys have been free ranging since they where big enough to be free. Every night they would be locked up for safety in their coop! (Coyotes.)

Since two weeks old they have been fed meat maker 28% protein. (Per breeder). Only during the time they were locked. Also fresh veggies, corn, etc. As treats to attract them to the coop.

From what you’ve written; I gather that I should reduce their feed to lower than 20% protein or thereabouts, and increase the cracked corn, and other carbs like whole wheat bread, (bread always in moderation, right now they only get one slice for the five of them,) baked potatoes, rice, pumpkin, etc. And also maybe some boiled eggs from my chickens (fat) since I have so many of them? Regarding price. I will study the local market. Besides like one of you said, I can alway lower the price if I start to high. Thank you again.

View attachment 1952232 Ok! Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all the input! Very good info.

My turkeys have been free ranging since they where big enough to be free. Every night they would be locked up for safety in their coop! (Coyotes.)

Since two weeks old they have been fed meat maker 28% protein. (Per breeder). Only during the time they were locked. Also fresh veggies, corn, etc. As treats to attract them to the coop.

From what you’ve written; I gather that I should reduce their feed to lower than 20% protein or thereabouts, and increase the cracked corn, and other carbs like whole wheat bread, (bread always in moderation, right now they only get one slice for the five of them,) baked potatoes, rice, pumpkin, etc. And also maybe some boiled eggs from my chickens (fat) since I have so many of them? Regarding price. I will study the local market. Besides like one of you said, I can alway lower the price if I start to high. Thank you again.
In the future, the high protein is only needed for the first 6 to 8 weeks. A mid range protein is recommended for the next 6 weeks. After that you can cut back to16% to 20% protein depending on what is available.

If you are going to process all of them, I would not worry about lowering their protein but if you are planning to keep some of them for breeding, those I would switch to a 20% protein All Flock or Flock Raiser feed.

View attachment 1952232 Ok! Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all the input! Very good info.

It looks pretty lush there. Does it still look like that? Where are you located?

You don't have to go crazy with the carbs and grains as long as you can find a lower protein complete feed.

Hi everyone. I have five turkeys, Narragassett breed that are earmarked for thanksgiving dinner. This is my first time raising turkeys so I have been reading a lot. One thing I read is to feed them “finisher” feed. I can’t find that in the internet or stores. Is it a omething I just buy? Or simply give them a lot of carb veggies during the last weeks? Will “all stock feed” work the same way? I use that for my donkey and goats. Or is there a recipe for me to blend to give them.
Thank you for your help.

Also, in today’s market how much should I sell the turkeys for? Should there be a processed price and one for unprocessed? I’ve seen them go for $85 at the supermarket. Mine are free range all natural turkeys. Born April 28. I live in Florida. This like a test run this year. If there is high demand for mine I’ll have more next year.
I feed a 17% finisher from Frontview feeds beginning about 16 weeks old. I supplement with whole corn & oats soaked in water overnight as about 15% of total feed. After soaking in water overnight, drain the water. My entire feed regimen is much more complicated but if you are producing meat birds, this should be enough.

i live in Dade City, Florida. Today it was a cool 57degrees overnight. Tomorrow with a high of 79! . And I already did find the right feed. Giving them a 18% protein with still free range and extra corn and other carbs. Thank you.

“It looks pretty lush there. Does it still look like that? Where are you located?

You don't have to go crazy with the carbs and grains as long as you can find a lower protein complete feed.”

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom