where do I get good Speckled Sussex stock

Creyzlik

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2019
So 2 years ago I ordered 15 speckled Sussex hen and 1 roo from Cackle Hatchery. Nothing against the company but these birds were not very good quality and I am wondering were to buy Speckled Sussex in the future

I am going to say the obvious before anyone else does, I would say find a good breeder. I'm sure they have a club on the internet that can direct you to a good breeder. You may pay a little more in the beginning but you should end up with quality birds. And when you talk to the breeder follow any advice they give you as they know what works with their breed. good luck and welcome home to BYC...

Also, if your goal is to get good “show quality” so they can do well against the standard, you should have access to the APA standard. Even if you aren’t showing.

Regarding breeders, know what their goals are for their birds. Maybe they are breeding with a certain goal in mind that may not be the same as yours. Also, how long have they been breeding, etc.

Speckled Sussex are pretty birds! Good luck finding some!

I am going to say the obvious before anyone else does, I would say find a good breeder. I'm sure they have a club on the internet that can direct you to a good breeder. You may pay a little more in the beginning but you should end up with quality birds. And when you talk to the breeder follow any advice they give you as they know what works with their breed. good luck and welcome home to BYC...
thanks i will look into that

Also, if your goal is to get good “show quality” so they can do well against the standard, you should have access to the APA standard. Even if you aren’t showing.

Regarding breeders, know what their goals are for their birds. Maybe they are breeding with a certain goal in mind that may not be the same as yours. Also, how long have they been breeding, etc.

Speckled Sussex are pretty birds! Good luck finding some!
I have breed chickens since I was a kid but I have never had great quality birds for breeding, I have the standard of perfection book if that's what you mean and thank you for all your help

So 2 years ago I ordered 15 speckled Sussex hen and 1 roo from Cackle Hatchery. Nothing against the company but these birds were not very good quality and I am wondering were to buy Speckled Sussex in the future
here's a photo of one last year they weren't terrible then but we did have a incredibly bad winter last year after this photo so I don't know if it's partially my fault but I don't believe they were ever up to standards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-074817.png
    Screenshot_20191112-074817.png
    751.3 KB · Views: 21
I have breed chickens since I was a kid but I have never had great quality birds for breeding, I have the standard of perfection book if that's what you mean and thank you for all your help

yes APA book of Standards.

just attended the Ohio National Poultry Show! Around 8700 entries, we were there just to observe. Saw several speckled Sussex there-they are attractive. We don’t have this breed, so I can’t comment past that. However, for the breeds we do have, we found it interesting in the variability amongst a gender/breed for the ones with many entries. It was good to be able to stand in a row and look between several examples of a breed/gender to see how they varied. they had a fairly big sale area and silent auctions, some of the silent auctions were held by breeder clubs and were for breeding pairs.

You can join the APA and you’ll get their yearbook. Lots of advertisements and articles.

in my 2019 yearbook, I just found advertisements for

1. OK state Poultry Federation. Looks like shows on Dec 14, 2019 and March 21, 2020 in Shawnee, OK.

2. Heart of the Ozarks Poultry Association.

3. Canadian Valley Poultry (show was held in Norman, OK)

these are what I found closest to you in the yearbook. I was unable to find a Sussex breeders club.

Check your APA club out for local stock first, in case you can buy quality stock from a show breeder nearby. If you don't have a local breeder, I would recommend buying shipped chicks over hatching eggs. Costs more up front but better results usually. Check out "Waltz's Ark" a breeder in Colorado. He does ship chicks in Spring.

Back
Top Bottom