Where do Quail like to lay their eggs?

ryan112ryan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 19, 2009
I just got my first quail a few weeks ago (brown and Texas A&M Cotournix). I built a cage with a 1/2" hardware cloth bottom so I could minimize cleaning (see below). Quick questions:

1. Will they just lay their eggs anywhere? If I don't grab the eggs right away will they peck them? I didn't want to put any bedding (because I'd have to clean it)

2. When are they old enough to put on the mesh 24 / 7?

3. I think I read they will start laying by 6 weeks, is that right?

4. Should I put a bulb on a timer for the winter, I saw somewhere 14 hours a day

CIMG1789.jpg

CIMG1791.jpg

They will lay anywhere but if you offer a box with shredded paper or straw or something not easy to kick out they might lay most of the eggs in that box.

Someone here puts a bowl in the pen, then changes the bowl out every time they pick eggs up.

They really do like corners or "protected" spots in general.

Mine have wicker baskets. Most of the time they use them to lay their eggs, too.

Even the button quail that have little sheltered places to lay their eggs choose to use them.

Note to self: Look for more cheap, small baskets next time I go to the thrift store...

The miserly move might be to learn to weave my own baskets, but time does not allow.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom