Where do they molt!

jarvisite99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Where do chickens molt! I just got 5 black jersey giants and the guy told us that 3 of them were in there molt. In their molt do their backs go bare? I don't think their supposed to be molting on their backs, but I know they molt on the neck.

Thanks.

jarvisite99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Quote:Just got one egg last night, but the guy told us they weren't laying
one was a male it also had some fathers on its back missing but was with another roo.

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
I've two in molt now. One you'd not know by looking and the other looks like a completely different chicken; her under white shows in patches all over from head to thighs. With most her outer feathers gone she looks a pound lighter too. They molt completely but how fast the process is different for each bird, fast and startling to look at in winter is a "hard" molt. You think Brrr...poor girl.

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
Here are a couple shots of my 39 week olds...molting ONLY on the neck right now.

they are already growing back on the last 2 hens posted...the BR are just getting started...it looks like something
from a horror movie! And its JUST the necks right now! You can see the pin feathers coming back in...
creepy....

JohnHenry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Somerville
Completely bare backs may also be an indication that they are pulling out each others feathers. I have one hen who pulls out her own feathers so I had to buy her an vest to cover her back.

actressbarbie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
I have one who is molting pretty bad right now on her neck. And a couple who didn't molt too bad. They all looked pretty much like the previously posted pics. I agree that maybe they're pulling feathers out. Try putting a little Vaseline on the affected area. We had one who was getting pecked and we did that. You have to keep up with the Vaseline for a few days but they stopped pecking her. The Vaseline is safe but since it's sticky, they don't like it on their beaks. Hang in there!

Latest posts

Top Bottom