Where do yo take your birds for processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by firechicken, Aug 13, 2007.

1. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Where do you guys take your chickens to be processed?
    I was entertaining the idea of getting some meat birds and was looking through the phone book for some butchers or meat processors and couldn't find anything. The closest I could find are the deer processors and taxidermists.
    Is there a key word I should be looking for in the phone book?
    Hopefully there is something around my area that will do it.

2. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Behind the house [​IMG]

They charge about $3-4 a bird, maybe $2 if you are really really lucky. You can check with your local county extension office for processors.

And by processor, I don't mean that nice piece of silicon that has those regions of holes, electrons, and insulators, creating wonderful switches that make our modern day computer work. Nope, I'm talking about processors that will process your birds for you! [​IMG]

Oh... Too much energy

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, right out back. How many do you want to do? If it's just a few, maybe you can learn how to do it yourself? It's really not that bad. [​IMG]

4. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    I have considered doing it my self and have studied how to do it. I am just exploring all options and wanted to call a local processor and see if it would be worth it to me to have someone else do it. I just cant seem to find one around here. [​IMG]

5. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Do you know any farmers? Not just chicken farmers. I found a person only 6 miles from me to process my chickens ($2/bird). But I found them by word of mouth.

I'm actually working in the computer industry, but there are a couple people here who are married to farmers, and that's how I get most of my information. For whatever reason, they just seem to know who does what and where. [​IMG]

Like others have mentioned, perhaps some day I'll try processing myself, but for now, I'm leaving the dirty job to someone else.[​IMG]

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    did you ask the guy at the feedstore? there's a hispanic guy that works at my feedstore, he knows everyone and everything and can find anything for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by