1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshyne276, Jun 11, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It is NOT food grade DE at pool supply places! That is different! DO NOT USE POOL DE! It will harm or kill your chickens!

Ditto!

2. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:That's super expensive. I hope you can find it locally.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I bought some at Lowes. I asked first and the guy looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language! Then I looked around and found it. It was in the organic gardening section. So Maybe if you have a store near you that has a big organic gardening section...

good luck.

5. cherprit

cherprit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    I just got some Saturday at a local organics/natural foods store.

6. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    We have a tiny feed store near us that sells it in any amount that you want. We got 25lbs for $.93/lb. I found out about it from one of my neighbors.

7. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I couldnt find any good prices for it local so i order food grade DE off of Ebay free shipping- best price i could find

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got mine from them (for our rabbits, originally) from their ebay store. The permaguard distributor list only shows one in Indiana and it's nowhere near me.

9. JanetfromDayton

JanetfromDayton Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Just bought a 50# bag for $14.99 at the local feed supply- grainery. Tried TSC. They had to look it up on their computer and then told me it was out of season??? Is there a season to use DE?

10. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I just bought 40# for $12.95 at Big R, the west coast equivalent of TSC. Took a little work to find someone who actually knew what I wanted, but there it was, sitting on the shelf next to the wild bird seed...??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by