Where do you buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshyne276, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I can't seen to find food grade Diatomaceous Earth ANYWHERE! I've called Tractor Supply, Southern States, Walmart, Lowes - do you local stores carry it? [​IMG]

2. promiselandfarm5

promiselandfarm5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Rome, GA
    We got our food grade DE threw our local (non-chain) feed store. They had to special order it, but it was cheaper than the other places I found because I didn't have to pay shipping.

website I was going to use....

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i couldn't find any DE anywhere either, so last year i ordered a huge bag online and i still have TONS of it left! it's gonna last me forever. i just use it to sprinkle where they take their dust baths. i can't remember where i ordered it from or how much it cost....i'm sure i had to pay shipping, but it was worth it. i don't remember it being TOO terribly expensive.

4. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I found some near me, and then the locally owned garden center bought some too, so you might ask if they would order any for you.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Here's the distribution chart for Perma Guard: http://www.perma-guard.com/distributors.html
    My
    local feed store carries it. I've heard some people say that you have to ask your feed store if they carry "Fossil Shell Flour", which is the other name for it.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Believe it or not, I get mine at the local hardware store. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it for sale there, so I checked it out carefully. It is CODEX food grade DE. I forget what the sales clerk told me the contractors use it for.

1 person likes this.
  7. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Try a search on Craigslist, I found a farmers market that had it, of course the market was three weeks ago. There was a phine number and lo and behold 'Do you want the three pounds or 50?' I am in Richmond, this place called 360 hardware down towards Tappahanock.

8. Gatordog

Gatordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Ask a swimming pool supply store, DE is used in commercial filter systems.

9. surgerynut

surgerynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    You can buy it online at Amazon.com and they deliver!
    [​IMG]

10. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Quote:It is NOT food grade DE at pool supply places! That is different! DO NOT USE POOL DE! It will harm or kill your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by