worried about Garden Safe non-food grade diatomaceous earth

musafieri

Hatching
Jul 19, 2023
I had a flea problem recently and put down a layer of Garden Safe diatomaceous earth in my chickens run and coop, and dusted them with it, before realizing it was non-food grade. I've raked out the run and cleaned out the coop, but I'm wondering if I need to be worried about the long-term impacts of my chickens coming into contact with it. Any reason to be concerned about consuming the eggs?

I would not worry at all, been using this same grade in my coop and run for years and have had no problems. I also have the food grade which isn't as good in killing the little buggies that's why I use the non food grade. As long as you don't use in excess I've not had any problems with it, and yes I've heard it could be a respiratory issue but in all the years I've used it I've not had that issue, I think to use sparingly as you don't need much. We also use in the dust bath area, and in our run which is sand, works great for us.

I would not worry at all, been using this same grade in my coop and run for years and have had no problems. I also have the food grade which isn't as good in killing the little buggies that's why I use the non food grade. As long as you don't use in excess I've not had any problems with it, and yes I've heard it could be a respiratory issue but in all the years I've used it I've not had that issue, I think to use sparingly as you don't need much. We also use in the dust bath area, and in our run which is sand, works great for us.

Food grade is usually finer than non-food grade and often looks like flour. As long as your garden safe stuff does not have any insect bait in it you should be fine for external use. It won't affect the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom