Dust Bath -- Diatomaceous Earth

Jelli_Sprout

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
Hello!

I went down to the store to get supplies for a dust bath and the lady there recommended "Thinking Natural Fresh Coop Dust Bath" so I bought it. When I got home I realized Diatomaceous Earth can be considered harmful.

The only ingredients listed are Granular Diatomaceous Earth and Calcium Montmorillonite. After googling it I found that it is also NOT Food Grade. I'm hesitant to use it, but was hoping for some opinions.

Should I use it straight, mix with sand, or avoid using it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-162825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-162825_Chrome.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 58
I'd take it back, de can be harmful if breathed, plain old dirt is best for dust bathing. De can control mites since it's microscopicly sharp, it cuts the the exoskeleton and dries them out but the best way to control mites is standard cleaning. You can get permithrine powder (poultry dust) to sprinkle lightly in places if you're concerned about pests. :]

I'd take it back, de can be harmful if breathed, plain old dirt is best for dust bathing. De can control mites since it's microscopicly sharp, it cuts the the exoskeleton and dries them out but the best way to control mites is standard cleaning. You can get permithrine powder (poultry dust) to sprinkle lightly in places if you're concerned about pests. :]
Okay, thank you! I will return it tomorrow and pick up some dirt for them! Some people swear by it, but I rather not take the chance!

Hello!

I went down to the store to get supplies for a dust bath and the lady there recommended "Thinking Natural Fresh Coop Dust Bath" so I bought it. When I got home I realized Diatomaceous Earth can be considered harmful.

The only ingredients listed are Granular Diatomaceous Earth and Calcium Montmorillonite. After googling it I found that it is also NOT Food Grade. I'm hesitant to use it, but was hoping for some opinions.

Should I use it straight, mix with sand, or avoid using it?
I haven't used DE in awhile (we mix our own with wood ash & such,) but I've never had any issues with it. Regardless, if you're using DE, you should always use food grade. After all, they're going to ingest it, one way or another.

I haven't used DE in awhile (we mix our own with wood ash & such,) but I've never had any issues with it. Regardless, if you're using DE, you should always use food grade. After all, they're going to ingest it, one way or another.
That's what made me very weary when I looked it up :( Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it. I found a bag of "Sunshine" Sphagnum Peat Moss in my garage, my dad has been usuing it for plants and I was wondering if it would be safe for the chickens.

That's what made me very weary when I looked it up :( Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it. I found a bag of "Sunshine" Sphagnum Peat Moss in my garage, my dad has been usuing it for plants and I was wondering if it would be safe for the chickens.
For nest bedding? Sounds comfy! As long as theirs no chemicals, I don't see why not.
But for dust bathing, just go dig up some dirt that you know won't have chemicals in it, my chickens prefer my neighbor's dirt, which is an issue!

For nest bedding? Sounds comfy! As long as theirs no chemicals, I don't see why not.
But for dust bathing, just go dig up some dirt that you know won't have chemicals in it, my chickens prefer my neighbor's dirt, which is an issue!
I'll have to do some digging for dirt 😂, thank you! Chickens really have no care for boundaries and "property lines" 😂

Back
Top Bottom