Where do you buy straw?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GeauxChickens, Oct 12, 2013.

1. GeauxChickens

GeauxChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    There is a bunch if straw in garden stores now for fall decorations, but where do you buy it the rest of the year round? Thanks.

2. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I buy from either one of the local farms or my local farming store (Paris Farmers Union) depending on the price.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Try a local farm or Craigslist, TSC and feed stores seem to charge an arm and a leg.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Farmers Markets and local hay/grain auctions will also often have people selling it by the bale.

5. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    Around here we buy it from Ace Hardware.

6. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Just use grass clippings. It turns straw like after a week.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: "Straw" is the left over STEMS of grain such as Wheat or Rye
    Dried grass is "hay"
    They aren't really interchangeable in usage

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My hay guy lol Since i own sheep and horses i can buy it from him, actually to be fully truthful i don't use straw for my birds at all, i bed my sheep with it. Basically i'd check with a feed supply to gain a contact most(not all) hay people sell straw too.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  9. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

What I do is to browse Craigslist from time to time. Look for farmers selling last year's "bottom Straw". Most times this may have a little mold in it, but the chickens don't care, and it hasn't affected mine adversly ever. Some will claim it does, but I haven't seen it. Also, look and see if your city has a free mulch pile. I fill my trailer a couple of times with free mulch, which is usually chipped wood/bark. Another thing I do is to take bagged dry leaves that people are raking up and normally throwing away. Saves it from the landfill, and the chickens do well with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

10. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

My local TSC actually has compressed shrink wrapped bales of straw packaged by the Standlee company. Very reputable company, and the straw may be a bit more expensive than buying it in a traditional bale form from a farm(er) BUT!!!! The convenience of being able to toss it in the trunk of a car or back of a SUV and NOT get the interior covered in chaff is priceless.

The bales LOOK smaller, but they are compressed, and actually will weigh as much (or more) than a traditional bale. They puff up enormously once opened. I love the Standlee compressed bales for when we are traveling with our horses. They are so much easier to stack and store than regular bales. They really are a great product and worth the small extra price for the convenience when needed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by