Where do you buy straw?

GeauxChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 23, 2013
There is a bunch if straw in garden stores now for fall decorations, but where do you buy it the rest of the year round? Thanks.

Farmers Markets and local hay/grain auctions will also often have people selling it by the bale.

My hay guy lol Since i own sheep and horses i can buy it from him, actually to be fully truthful i don't use straw for my birds at all, i bed my sheep with it. Basically i'd check with a feed supply to gain a contact most(not all) hay people sell straw too.

Last edited:
What I do is to browse Craigslist from time to time. Look for farmers selling last year's "bottom Straw". Most times this may have a little mold in it, but the chickens don't care, and it hasn't affected mine adversly ever. Some will claim it does, but I haven't seen it. Also, look and see if your city has a free mulch pile. I fill my trailer a couple of times with free mulch, which is usually chipped wood/bark. Another thing I do is to take bagged dry leaves that people are raking up and normally throwing away. Saves it from the landfill, and the chickens do well with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

My local TSC actually has compressed shrink wrapped bales of straw packaged by the Standlee company. Very reputable company, and the straw may be a bit more expensive than buying it in a traditional bale form from a farm(er) BUT!!!! The convenience of being able to toss it in the trunk of a car or back of a SUV and NOT get the interior covered in chaff is priceless.

The bales LOOK smaller, but they are compressed, and actually will weigh as much (or more) than a traditional bale. They puff up enormously once opened. I love the Standlee compressed bales for when we are traveling with our horses. They are so much easier to stack and store than regular bales. They really are a great product and worth the small extra price for the convenience when needed...

Back
Top Bottom