Where do you find fake eggs to put in nests?

SebastHen

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
Long ago my grocer had a machine where I could get one for .25, but I can't find any now :(
I just got my first 3 eggs :celebrate, from 2 Orpingtons. They are perfectly gorgeous and the color of this text. They were all together, right next to the nests, so I want to remedy that soon.

I am so proud of my girls, erm - ladies now. I have an EE who is the same age, no egg yet, but it's OK cos I couldn't stand more happiness right now.

Long ago my grocer had a machine where I could get one for .25, but I can't find any now :(
I just got my first 3 eggs :celebrate, from 2 Orpingtons. They are perfectly gorgeous and the color of this text. They were all together, right next to the nests, so I want to remedy that soon.

I am so proud of my girls, erm - ladies now. I have an EE who is the same age, no egg yet, but it's OK cos I couldn't stand more happiness right now.
You can order wooden eggs from places like McMurrays or Strombergs. You can find ceramic eggs at Tractor Supply by doing a search for nest eggs.

I got my ceramic eggs from CeramicEggs.

I also got some Sculpey Oven Bake Clay and made my own fake guinea eggs.

You can use the real eggs they lay. I would only leave them in the nest for no longer than two weeks or till they get dirty. Mark them with a sharpie since they won't be hatched and just collect the new ones each day.
Ceramic eggs are good for stopping egg eaters. You'd stop pecking eggs if you stubbed your pecker on something add hard as a ceramic egg. It's like you trying to break a plate with your teeth.

You can use plastic Easter Eggs, fill with gravel or sand & glue shut. Some use golf balls, Amazon sells ceramic eggs as to those mentioned above.

EDITED (Nov 25th): I use plastic Easter Eggs filled with sand & super glued shut. Once the pullets get the hang of the nest box, remove the plastic eggs. In some breeds makes they want to go broody :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I heard Easter Eggs work okay! I’ve heard of ducks sitting on plastic eggs and cracking them, unless they’re well built (good quality) and glued shut (as mentioned previously). Good luck!

I just ordered several on Amazon. I have 11 pullets that started laying mid October. Nine of them are laying. I had 2 ceramic eggs in the nest boxes and thought all was well. I found 3 eggs in the run and started looking around to make sure there weren't more. I have a bale of straw in the run leaning up against the ramp to go into the coop. I moved it around and found 9 more eggs!!!!! Looked like everyone contributed an egg because they weren't all the same. I gave the girls a stern talking to and ordered more fake eggs to put in the nest boxes. Those girls!! Every time I think I have solved a problem, they create a new one.

Back
Top Bottom