Where do you find fake eggs to put in nests?

Trying to train my turkeys where to lay as they are laying their big beautiful eggs in the woods with negative temps lol I collected one egg and blew it out like you would eggs to decorate for easter. Filled it with rice (would prefer sand but we are all froze up!) Then plugged the hole with hot glue. Tried usingbschool glue but after 4 days it still wasn t dry.

I have had no luck with the ceramic eggs. The Texas Rat Snake (chicken snake) went around them and went for the real ones. My grandmother used glass eggs, very successful with them 60-years back. My coop is now snake proof!

You can use the real eggs they lay. I would only leave them in the nest for no longer than two weeks or till they get dirty. Mark them with a sharpie since they won't be hatched and just collect the new ones each day.
Ceramic eggs are good for stopping egg eaters. You'd stop pecking eggs if you stubbed your pecker on something add hard as a ceramic egg. It's like you trying to break a plate with your teeth.
I used real eggs as well, but hard boiled.

I used to walk a lot and would pick up free ranging golf balls that went over the fence.
Easy to find even good brands in mint condition- fool layers and make some moolah to feed them.

Back
Top Bottom