Where do you get herbs for chickens?

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone! I've been wanting to add some herbs around my coop such as Bee balm, Lemon balm, Garden sage, Thyme, Borage, Spearmint, and Lavender only to name a few. I know having fresh herbs is beneficial for chickens but I was wondering where I could find these? Thanks!

Are you asking where to buy plants? Or where to buy dried herbs or fresh cut herbs? I don't know where you are located but I can find all of the herbs you've listed as starters at my local nursery. Bee balm is a weed here in Oregon, I can find it everywhere outside and transplant. Lavendar is easier to use starts. I grow alot of herbs so I germinate my own seedlings on some herbs that are easier like basil and dill.

excuse me may i hijack your thread for a moment please?
how about the dried variety of a mixture of good herbs for poultry? ebay?
So, I'm not cheap and I would also never ever advise people to "make your own," chicken food. But, when I see $30 on Chewy or Amazon or ebay for a 1 pound bag of "chicken herbs," I think you should make your own. Grow and dry them. It's SO easy. Herbs are incredibly easy to grow.

Borage is very easy from seed, and it is an annual. The rest you are better off buying at a local nursery or getting starts from neighbors. Craigslist is a good place to check, too.
I have big pots of thyme, oregano, rosemary, lemon balm, several kinds of mint, and lavender growing already... i tried borage last year its so pretty but the plants got really tall and then fell over lol. what others would be good additions?

Back
Top Bottom