Growing fresh herbs and bees

chellechelle

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2023
Georgia
I absolutely do not have a green thumb (I've even killed a cactus), but I would like to plant a small 3 or 4 plant herb garden for my hens. I'm thinking maybe in window box planters on my coop or around the walkway. What herbs would not attract bees? Possibly allergic :hmm

I have lemon balm and then mint in two window baskets hanging from my run. Mainly because both are good chicken herbs. And they will grow in the shade. If you don’t want bees I would just pinch them back so they don’t flower.

Herbs they won't eat?

Mine don't touch rosemary. Lemon verbena is another they don't eat that creates a nice little shrub that smells amazing. Both are hardy and do well with a bit of neglect. They rarely flower for me so don't attract bees. The larger Tuscan varieties of rosemary seem more inclined to flower ime.

Other herbs my chickens don't eat are: oregano, thyme, sage. They rarely if ever flower so won't attract bees. Rosemary and lemon verbena are also useful as aromatics you could use in the coop Itself perhaps.

Herbs they won't eat?

Mine don't touch rosemary. Lemon verbena is another they don't eat that creates a nice little shrub that smells amazing. Both are hardy and do well with a bit of neglect. They rarely flower for me so don't attract bees. The larger Tuscan varieties of rosemary seem more inclined to flower ime.

Other herbs my chickens don't eat are: oregano, thyme, sage. They rarely if ever flower so won't attract bees. Rosemary and lemon verbena are also useful as aromatics you could use in the coop Itself perhaps.
I hadn't thought about planting ones the hens won't eat. I was thinking something i could give them as treats but was worried about the smell attracting bees. Thanks for letting me know what herbs your hens don't like. It gives me a starting point. :)

Ah OK. If it's treats they love that don't attract bees, just grow open type lettuce. It's dead easy. And will never attract bees so loong as it doesnt bolt and flower. But if they can get to it, they will eat it on the spot with prejudice.
Humans bearing Lettuce leaves are the best humans in chicken culture. 😛

Back
Top Bottom