Where Do YOU Get/Rescue Battery Hens From?

Hello! So the place I thought I could buy them from ended up not looking like a factory farm... So does anyone now of a place in eastern kansas? Thanks!
Never mind my mother found one! In missori... Exided to get some soon!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, and my vet warned me, because of the growth hormones she was injected with, he stated she may not live long.

Highly doubtful. It is an oft-repeated myth in the AR community that commercial chickens receive growth hormones. Independent research is your friend. ;)

Last edited:
Highly doubtful. It is an oft-repeated myth in the AR community that commercial chickens receive growth hormones. Independent research is your friend.
wink.png
You can also check with the Humane Societies and Animal Control. They obtain a lot of chickens from time to time.

I live in Arkansas. Years ago I was given two black chicks. I received them from a guy that worked at a chicken farm. He said the white chicks would kill the black babies because of the different color! And YES I'm talking about "chickens" here! Don't want any misunderstanding from anyone!

I was told they would grow large because of the stuff they are shot up with! OMG is all I can say! They got so large they couldn't stand up any longer. When they tried they ended up injuring their legs and eventually died a natural death soon after.

Me, myself and I would NOT want anymore of these chickens. It broke my heart seeing the suffering they went thru.

My husband has put his foot down on me bringing chickens home. He tells me: "You can't rescue all of them, or "You can't save them all!" I've had to learn that and I've learned to give the chickens I HAVE a lot more love and attention. This has also been the case for our other pets. I had really gotten myself in a world of trouble trying to take care of so many. It just about did me in!

I can't stand to watch any show where chickens are being abused. I don't go searching the web for information on chickens being mistreated either. There's too much of it out there and it's too upsetting. I made the mistake a few years ago of trying to find an article about some teenagers using baby chicks as baseballs. I'll say no more! Well I found way more horrible stories than I wanted to read. So I don't go searching anymore.

TC

You can also check with the Humane Societies and Animal Control. They obtain a lot of chickens from time to time.

I live in Arkansas. Years ago I was given two black chicks. I received them from a guy that worked at a chicken farm. He said the white chicks would kill the black babies because of the different color! And YES I'm talking about "chickens" here! Don't want any misunderstanding from anyone!

I was told they would grow large because of the stuff they are shot up with! OMG is all I can say! They got so large they couldn't stand up any longer. When they tried they ended up injuring their legs and eventually died a natural death soon after.

Me, myself and I would NOT want anymore of these chickens. It broke my heart seeing the suffering they went thru.

My husband has put his foot down on me bringing chickens home. He tells me: "You can't rescue all of them, or "You can't save them all!" I've had to learn that and I've learned to give the chickens I HAVE a lot more love and attention. This has also been the case for our other pets. I had really gotten myself in a world of trouble trying to take care of so many. It just about did me in!

I can't stand to watch any show where chickens are being abused. I don't go searching the web for information on chickens being mistreated either. There's too much of it out there and it's too upsetting. I made the mistake a few years ago of trying to find an article about some teenagers using baby chicks as baseballs. I'll say no more! Well I found way more horrible stories than I wanted to read. So I don't go searching anymore.

TC

No you're right don't go searching for those painful stories. But don't stop caring and finding ways to make life better for farm animals. Your compassion will make your life a little more challenging, a little more difficult than it is for people who don't care. But since it isn't actually possible to make yourself stop caring, can't turn your heart off, tell your hubby to suck it up, you are probably meant to be an animal activist, and get going! Pick your cause, find your community, focus on your issues, figure out the solution to your problems, take aim at your enemies, gather your resources, and git er done!

Hi HSF! I'm really grateful for my husband's insight as far as having more animals than we do! And he's thinking of my welfare too!

A little bit about myself so you'll understand more!

I spent 23 years in the Army National Guard, working full-time with them. I'm a disabled veteran now and have a multitude of medical problems. Never thought I'd be retired at such an early age either! LOL One of my health issues is my back! So I'm limited as to how much activity I can do in a day. So there you have it in a nutshell!

Before all the injured body parts occurred? I had over 100 chickens. It was a hell of a job taking care of them all. This was during my XH's time though!

I'm pretty much a night owl now. Not allowed to be in the sun anymore! The kids we have now are used to being up with mom when I'm up and Molly is used to being asleep during the day when I'm asleep!

Our Moran hen here in the room with me also likes going outside in the wee early morning hours. She's learned there are bugs out there underneath the street light. LOL I go out with her due to the predators we have roaming thru here. And we have Owls here. There were around 12 of them last week doing a hoot and holler that was something else to listen to. We fenced in our two acres due to the many coyotes near us.

TC

Hi HSF! I'm really grateful for my husband's insight as far as having more animals than we do! And he's thinking of my welfare too!

A little bit about myself so you'll understand more!

I spent 23 years in the Army National Guard, working full-time with them. I'm a disabled veteran now and have a multitude of medical problems. Never thought I'd be retired at such an early age either! LOL One of my health issues is my back! So I'm limited as to how much activity I can do in a day. So there you have it in a nutshell!

Before all the injured body parts occurred? I had over 100 chickens. It was a hell of a job taking care of them all. This was during my XH's time though!

I'm pretty much a night owl now. Not allowed to be in the sun anymore! The kids we have now are used to being up with mom when I'm up and Molly is used to being asleep during the day when I'm asleep!

Our Moran hen here in the room with me also likes going outside in the wee early morning hours. She's learned there are bugs out there underneath the street light. LOL I go out with her due to the predators we have roaming thru here. And we have Owls here. There were around 12 of them last week doing a hoot and holler that was something else to listen to. We fenced in our two acres due to the many coyotes near us.

TC

Well I respect your husbands insight and care for you. Hope your mobility improves in time and you can accomplish all you dream of.

Hi everyone! I'm really interested in getting a battery hen, but am having trouble finding where to rescue one from. I live near Ft. Meade. Maryland. Thanks!

They were broiler chicks. They are not "shot up" with stuff, they have been selectively bred to grow at a very rapid rate. (They are NOT genetically altered either.) They cannot be free fed if you want them to live as long as possible. A restricted feeding schedule is necessary.

keesmom:
I could only share with what I was told! My then husband brought them home from work. A man that worked there part time also worked in chicken houses. My then husband was told this by him. He knew we had chickens and that's how we ended up with them. I believed him from the huge size the hens became! Never seen that before.

TC

Back
Top Bottom