where do you get your eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have ordered chicks from My Pet Chicken, and I know Murry's is good too. But my last few sets of eggs that I incubated came from sellers on ebay. I was wondering where everyone gets theres from. I am hoping to start trying to hatch my own eggs, but i have only noticed that only one of my hen seems to be laying fertile eggs and even then it does not seem that regular but next week I am gonna put a few of her eggs in and see what happens. Please put down your favorite place to get eggs I would love to explore other ways of getting them.

2. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I get mine from ebay, mostly. I've had a really good success rate with shipped eggs-- esp. geese...

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I am done with ebay. I am only buying from fellow BYC'ers in the future. There is only one farm on ebay I would buy from again, they have gorgeous Buff Orpingtons. Well there is a gal with pheasants that turned out great, too. But for my money, I am shopping only on here- HONEST people who wish to improve the chicken breeds!!!

Christina

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    eggbid.com

5. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    check local breeders. better quality, lower prices and no shipping. the ones i got my silver ameraucanas from guaranteed fertility but not hatchability.

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Mcmurray Hatchery, but we get day old chicks, not eggs. We like them because they are very good about refunding any sick or weak chicks, or ones that died in shipping. They also have a huge breed selection, and give you one free rare chick with your order.

7. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    At one time, I bought and sold quite a few eggs on eggbid. NO MORE! Last year, I bought 500 quail eggs from a seller in Missouri, and he stiffed me. I sent many e-mails to Tim at eggbid, and he never once answered them. Also, the seller is still trying to con people into sending him more $ via eggbid.

For this reason, and the way that Tim treated me (and I'm not the only one he has ignored), I will not do business with eggbid again.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've only gotten hatching eggs from BYC members. Ask in Buy/Sell/Trade for the kind that you want, someone usually has them and will sell you a doz. or two.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have used eBay quite a bit and have some beautiful babies from it. [​IMG] As for getting stiffed....it can happen anywhere unless you are picking them up by hand. I recall an incident on here with egg swaps where a BUNCH of people were very upset over not getting their eggs (gonna edit cause I THINK it was eggs....maybe it was otehr items??? don't recall as it has been awhile since I read it but they were disappointed all the same). A lot of hatcheries sell hatching eggs, as well. I have also bought Farmers market eggs to hatch. [​IMG] Just ask if they have a roo with their hens. Good luck and have fun, there are lots of choices out there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've used E-bay...but I really prefer to buy my eggs here. You can check in the Everything Buy Sell and Trade section...there's a list of breeders and a recommendation list. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by