1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you get your fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinelli-farm, Oct 25, 2011.

1. pinelli-farm

pinelli-farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    I would like to get some fertile eggs of some different breads of chickens than what I have. Where do you get them?

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

There are auctions here, on BYC. I also get eggs from friends and from eBay (sellers on eBay tend to pump up their stock more than it really is).

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I ordered 6 from mypetchicken but i haven't got them yet.

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i baught some eggs off ebay and the ones that were actually fertile died because my chicken broke out of her broody coop and couldnt find her way abck in [​IMG]

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    There are lots of people on byc that sell hatching eggs. What breeds are you looking for? Deb

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Back when I din't know better LOL, I was getting Foo-Foo birds for my young DD to mess with, I just called some trusted chicken friends and picked them up.

7. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have 2 growing now that are from our bantam frizzle roo and our barred rock hen. The other two both died (one early and one 4 days before hatch), so I'm not sure if maybe it's a bad combo? The rest of mine I've ordered off of ebay...the best growers are ones I let settle for 24 hours after they arrived. One batch grew embryos but they all dies (bantam black tailed white japanese ones).

8. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I too ordered silkie eggs from Mypetchicken and have yet to recieve them! After I called and they told me they should ship out in less than 24 hours, well its been more than 24 hours but I have recieved no email saying so..... [​IMG]

So my opinion order them from someone on here! I sure will next time... [​IMG]

9. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I posted an add on craigslist and got 7 from a lady who lived near my husbands work.. Paid $5 for 7 eggs!! (6 of the 7 have hatched so far) [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

From very reputable breeders I trust and know their culling practices so I lower the risk of introducing disease into my flock through hatching eggs from disease carrying parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by