Where do you get your meaties

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Well i'm interested in getting some meat birds but cannot figure out how all you guys get your birds. Do you buy them from the hatchery or do you have a flock that you hatch them from? Does any BYC member sell cornish rock eggs or live chicks? Thanks

I got some from Ideal last year, but they're a little pricey. Check with multiple hatcheries and compare both the price of the bird and the shipping. I've seen meaties as cheap as 60 cents each, but the shipping costs were through the roof!

You can find a list of hatcheries and breeders (listed by state) at www.CountryChickens.com

Kathy, Bellville TX

You have to get them from a hatchery, as breeding broilers isn't as simple as mating a Cornish with a Rock. Find a hatchery near you- as in, in your state if possible. They will have a better survival rate the shorter their trip is. I buy from Townline, which is a couple hours drive from me, so they get to my house overnight.

we got the red ones from Ideal and they are doing great - not as creepy as the traditional broilers. and they free range with our other chicks.

man wow do they eat the bagged food!

Some folks prefer the kinds you can free-range or pasture, like the Colored Range Broilers from JM Hatchery. Someone mentioned "Dixie Rainbows" as a meat bird like that, but I don't know where they come from.

Cornish Xs are deeeelicious on the plate, but I think they're repulsive & reptilian in the coop.

We have been using McMurray for our birds (the reds and cornish) and we haven't had a problem with them. I might try some rangers in the future so I'll be trying another hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom