Where do you keep your brooder when you have chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joebryant, May 17, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Under threat of death from my wife, I can no longer keep chicks' brooders in the house ANYWHERE because of all the dust.

How do you solve this problem, or do you deal with all the dust?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I deal with the dust until they can go in the basement.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine stay in the shed. It's enclosed but has good ventilation. I just adjust what wattage light bulb I'm using depending on the time of year.

4. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine In my shop/ Garage outside far away from the house and the wife other then that I have the roof and 3 sides all covered and wipe Vacum the dust off the inside about every 2 weeks (when I clean the shavings out and compost them) The fabric brush duct taped to the shop vac works well fro cleaning up the dust...

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I had 32 in the basement/rec room this spring ~ never again! Too much dust. We are now building a new coop and I am including a brooder area into it for the future.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine are in the spare bedroom; just clean up after they're gone...

7. zade11

zade11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    i kept mine in my room but the dust was only a problem on flat things i kept near the lil door to the brooder so it wasn't an issue

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just have a brooder that is outdoors. I use either a 2x4 hutch made from a single sheet of plywood, or a 4x4 play house, each with just two 100W bulbs if it is below 40 at night, or with just two 60 or 40 W bulbs if it is over 40 at night.

9. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I keep mine in the attached garage with a heat lamp and thermometer. Easier to clean up out there. I don't want the chicken coop smell in the house. As it is, my husband still thinks they stink up the garage. I think he's just over reacting... it's a garage.

10. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    We just built a new brooder to help deal with the dust issue. It is insulatted and 4'x4' on wheels so we can move it to where we want it. Close to the house in the winter and out by the garage in the sumer. We still keep the young chicks in the house in a playpen until they are feathered out then out they go. we currently have 10 out in the brooder between 11 weeks and 8 weeks there now. In the house we have about 10 that are a week old. Soon as i get the ones outside moved the new ones will be out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by