Where do you store your eggs before incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jake1297, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    The best place for me, I have found is the lower kitchen cupboards. It stays a cool 55-65 degrees. This cupboard is on the east wall, and only gets the morning sun. It's also away from any heat sources ranges, ovens, refrigerators, etc. Yes refrigerators throw off heat on the outside.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Yes, they do! That's why we put seedling trays on top of refrigerators...to help germinate [​IMG]

I put mine in cartons on a rack in the laundry room. It stays about 60-68 in there. I put a board under 1 end of the carton, and switch sides daily.

3. chick4smiles

chick4smiles Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Adirondacks
    This is all very good advice. I'd didn't realize you could store eggs before incubating them until I read up on all of this on BYC. I made a lot of mistakes with my first round of eggs in the incubator (barnyard eggs). From now on, we'll be storing them at about 50 degrees until we gather a good amount then put them all in at once. My garage is kept at a steady 50. Just got to remember to rotate them!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I store mine on the top shelf inside of my refrigerator. This time of year in Florida my inside house temp is in the 76-82 range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by